cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datkins
Visitor

Built-in Elevated Permissions?

The users in our company do not have local admin rights. There is also no local admin account on the machines. If domain connected a support person can authenticate against AD and get admin permission via AD group. This is not always a good solution because 40% of our workers are remote (home, hotel, etc.) and I want to eliminate the VPN dependency for support with admin permissions.

My question.

If connecting to a Windows 7/10 machine, does GoToAssist automatically give you administrator/system access even if the user is not an admin and there is no local admin account on the machine? So you have the ability to install software/drivers, run diagnostics, change system settings, etc.?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Built-in Elevated Permissions?

Hi @datkins,

GoToAssist Remote Support cannot Run as a Service on a client's PC unless someone with admin rights allows it to.  If the client is an admin on their PC it will run as a service automatically. If the client is a regular/limited user they will need to enter admin credentials or GoToAssist will run on an Application level.

When the software runs at an appliaction level, you will be limited in what you can do. If you trigger a Windows prompt for an admin permission you will not be able to continue. If there is no admin account on the PC that can elevate the session to Run as a Service, you will be very limited in what you can do.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @datkins,

GoToAssist Remote Support cannot Run as a Service on a client's PC unless someone with admin rights allows it to.  If the client is an admin on their PC it will run as a service automatically. If the client is a regular/limited user they will need to enter admin credentials or GoToAssist will run on an Application level.

When the software runs at an appliaction level, you will be limited in what you can do. If you trigger a Windows prompt for an admin permission you will not be able to continue. If there is no admin account on the PC that can elevate the session to Run as a Service, you will be very limited in what you can do.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

Free new user and admin training
aletort

Hi @GlennD,

I understand what you mean regarding going to assist that needs to be setup as a service, however I'm just wondering if there is a way to workaround an issue that I'm facing without the Go to Assist Service Running.
If I remote on a thin client machine via go to assist, If I trigger a Windows prompt for admin, I can't even see the prompt login box, the remote communication freeze on my side and this is up to the user to type the password.
Is there a way to work around this without installing the go to assist service?
I'm thinking of modifying the UAC (the thin client I manage are on Windows 7 embedded edition).

Thanks for your help

Arnaud