cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oceanguy123
New Contributor

Create an msi installer that will install and update GoTo Connect without the need for admin rights

The current msi installer for GoTo is extremely inconvenient and downright useless. When you distribute the msi to install it, it installs fine. But when it updates, it requires admin rights to update. What regular users have admin rights in any environment? The only way to install the desktop app without the need for admin rights is to use an exe file on one user at a time which is extremely inconvenient. I have never seen an msi file so useless in my life. PLEASE make an msi file that actually works properly!

Edit: You guys have made it impossible to install GoTo Connect correctly with the msi file you provide currently

5 REPLIES 5
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Create an msi installer that will install and update GoTo Connect without the need for admin ...

Hi @oceanguy123,

As this did not really follow the idea guidelines I have moved it back to the main discussions board for now. We have two MSI install options available:

• Per machine - This MSI is suitable for companies that want to pre-install the app and have more control over it.
  • Per user - This MSI is suitable for companies that want to pre-install the app but want to let users have control over the app.

For your use case (users do not have admin rights), you would want to use the per-machine option with automatic updates disabled so that the users never see a prompt to update. You would then deploy the update across the machines when you are ready. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
oceanguy123
New Contributor

Re: Create an msi installer that will install and update GoTo Connect without the need for admin ...

I followed the guidlines, you're going to have to be more specific about how I didn't follow them. I met all the criteria in the idea guidelines post. I get that it had some rant elements to it but ultimately it was a suggestion that followed the rules.

That is a terrible solution... Just make an msi installer that doesn't need admin rights to update like everyone else. You guys can't seriously think disabling updates and deploying a new msi whenever there is an update is a good idea. 

GlennD
GoTo Manager

After reading through the Overview of the MSI for per-user installation during user login:

• Automatic updates can be enabled or disabled. They are enabled by default.
  • If automatic updates are enabled:
    • The user is notified about updates while using the product, and can manually check for new updates.
    • Any available updates are automatically installed upon exit.
    • Updates happen for each user individually, do not require admin permissions, and will not update other users.

oceanguy123
New Contributor

That part you bolded isn't true. See this image. This is what happens when your per-machine msi install tries to update itself. So you need to fix it. I have a ticket open with level 2 support regarding this issue.

gotoissue.png

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Can you provide me with the support ticket number? Our team has not seen this issue before, they would appreciate it if you could make a full screen recording of the entire sequence of events for them to review.