cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dharrel
Active Contributor

Re: Remote control woes continue: only available if presenters use the desktop app

Thanks, Kate!  

dharrel
Active Contributor

Re: Remote control woes continue: only available if presenters use the desktop app

I'm getting VERY TIRED of not being able to take control through GoToMeeting.  Virtually every time I want to, I cannot because my meeting partner has the "orange circle white flower" icon showing in their task bar, reflecting the old app.  PLEASE FIX THIS!

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @dharrel,  

This will most likely require a call into the support team and some time investigating and gathering more information

By design the attendee is prompted to join a meeting using the same software as the organizer hosting the meeting. If the organizer is using the GoTo App the attendee will be prompted to use it as well and install it if they do not already have it even if the have a Classic GoToMeeting software installed. 

I have both installed and switch my account back and forth between them often when testing and the only way I am able to join a GoTo App meeting using the Classic GoToMeeting software is if I enter the meeting ID directly into it through the icon menu.  

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
dharrel
Active Contributor

Thanks, Glenn.  Would a 3 way GoToMeeting between myself, my customer, and your support help investigate this problem?

FYI - I have been using GoToMeeting since 2006.

KateG
GoTo Moderator

Hi @dharrel,

Once you open a case, our support team can evaluate if it's necessary to bring in your customer. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
dharrel
Active Contributor

I got around my problem, and for the record, here is how:

It turns out my computer had 3 pieces of GoTo software installed:

1. GoTo 4.7.2
  2. GoTo Opener 1.0.564
  3. GoToMeeting 10.19.0.19950

I uninstalled all of the above, and rebooted my computer.  

I then opened the GoToMeeting web site, and my logon was remembered.  I started an Instant Meeting, which started in my browser.  I clicked "Switch to Desktop App", and this started an old orange-icon app!  I closed the window, and determined that "GoTo Opener" and "GoToMeeting" were now installed, at the same versions as above.  

I uninstalled these two, again, and then rebooted my computer, again.  Then I Googled "GoToMeeting download", and from there downloaded and ran "GoToSetup.exe".  Then I only had "GoTo 4.7.2" installed, which I expect is how it should be.  

I was then able to remote control with a meeting attendee that I had problems with before.  

HOWEVER - I am now running into the problem where the <Esc> key ends my remote control, as opposed to behaving like an <Esc> key on the controlled computer.  This is incredibly annoying, and I don't think I can live with it.  

The classic GoToMeeting did everything I needed and was so reliable.  I've had nothing but trouble since it was replaced.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

@dharrel I think I have cracked it. I did a deep dive on your account settings in your Admin page and for some reason the GoTo App was disabled for users. I have edited the settings and made sure the GoTo App is enabled for both you and your attendees (you can still switch back to GTM Classic in the regular Settings area of your account). I'm going to try and figure out why your account had been set that way.

You can access your settings here https://app.goto.com/shell-settings/meeting-settings-title/general and check that Explore the new GoTo App is enabled like this

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
dharrel
Active Contributor

Thank you!  I just was able to take control with a participant with whom I think I had problems in the past!  

Now, I'd prefer to use the new GoTo, because you can't stay stuck in the past - especially as the past gets more and more distant.  But I don't think I can live with the <esc> key cancelling my remote control.  I need it to behave like an <esc> key on the controlled computer.  I may stop using the new GoTo for this reason alone.  

Please make this <esc> key change in the new GoTo, and I'll happily stay there (assuming it remains reliable going forward).