cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Re: Windows message when trying to enter a command, after taking control

I had joined another GTM session since I updated my copy; does that overwrite mine?

I closed all GTM programs/tray sessions I could find. Nothing running on Task Manager. Checked Properties of the Start menu icon, it points to g2mstart.exe in the directory created 8/9/19.  I start a meeting and host it.

Right click on the tray icon, select About, and it shows 8.45.4 Build 13609.  I KNOW when I started a meeting after clearing and reinstalling, it showed a 8.46.?? level. So how did mine get downgraded to the 'defective' version?

New Contributor

Digging a little more because this issue is really starting to annoy me.  Opened the file location shown on the Properties of the desktop/start menu icon.  Details of g2mstart.exe show version 8.45.4.

Moved up one level and I see I now have 4 folders under AppData/Local/GoToMeeting. There was only one when I reinstalled a week ago.  The contents of all 4 folders look to be identical, and have file dates from last week.

Started looking at the version details of g2mstart.exe in each one and I have 8.45.2, 8.45.3, 8.45.4, and 8.46.0.  My icon 'default' is the 8.45.4 directory.

I updated the icon path to use the directory with the 8.46.0 version, started GTM and now it shows that level.

So every time I connect to another meeting (that I don't start) that uses an older version, my system is going to get downgraded and I have to manually update the shortcut??

LogMeIn Contributor

@ITSGPete  8.46 is the current default, and we'll be upgrading everybody to this software within the next week or so.  You should not have this problem moving forward.

New Contributor

I do have suddenly same issue.

As previous version had terrible problem with Tab key binding I did installed 8.46.1.14107 to fix it on my Win10 Pro some time ago. And I made sure old version is gone completely, even did NTB restart after deinstall. And 14107 was running quite OK for weeks till today.

Windows Settings / Apps & Features still shows this 14107 as the only installed version.

However :

- C:\Program Files (x86)\GoToMeeting  contains now just uninstaller for 14107

- C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\GoToMeeting\  now contain two folders .. 14107 and 13609

- and link from Start menu points to that 13609 one

- GoToMeeting properties are set NOT to auto-update ...  So, HOW could that downgrade to 13609 happened ?

LogMeIn Contributor

@TomSilver I'm uncertain how that Windows PC reverted, but if you'd like we can take a look at your account together setup to confirm everything is in place.  Give us a call at your convenience so we can make things right again:  https://support.goto.com/meeting/help/how-do-i-contact-gotomeeting-customer-support-g2m090151

New Contributor

Hi AshC,

and thanks fro help offer. Luckily it will probably not gonna be needed, as GTM works and keeps correct version since I tweaked the Start menu links.

So situation is stable, at least for now.

- Windows/Settings/Apps still shows only 14107 installed and points to Program Files (x86), where there is no GTM but uninstaller only

- in user's profile AppData there are still two flders with two versions

- automatic updates are still disabled, but experience tells me that this does not prevent something to change GTM and move it from global scope to per-user scope and install some weirdo version

- Start menu links are kept intact with manually changed/fixed path to 14107 build and starts GTM OK-ish

New Contributor

It got worst and looks like some awkward rules are applied.

No matter if I just start 14107 or re-install it (after I cleaned all previous).

When I start 14107 it runs in tray OK.

However when I start meeting (Meet Now..) then it starts as 14107 and after few secs it says it will download an upgrade (regardless auto upgrade IS Disabled).

Then 14107 is terminated, and new Meet Now starter window appear, almost same, except this one is 13609.

Tried to rename folder, but it keeps downloading and starting 13609 with crippled Tab key binding which is pretty inconvenient for CLI (command autocompletes/hints) sessions.

AutoUpgrade switch is completely ignored.

I'm unable to force it to start in specific version.

So I called to support which promissed to escalate to L2 immediately which, hopefully and as promised, is goin to call/mail me back with what to do.

LogMeIn Contributor

@TomSilver What operating system are you working with there, and how old is the hardware in use?

New Contributor

Hi,

~3 Years old Dell notebook E7470

Windows 10 Pro x64 build 1903

As in attempt to workaround I did removed anything GoTo* I found.

Rebooted.

Downloaded installer for opener from https://www.gotomeeting.com/features/mac-windows-linux

Installed latest version (10.4.1.15939)  this way.

So far it did not 'upgraded' to older version 13609 as 14107 did.

And so far it seems to be kept, not just if I do start to tray manually, but even when I start actuall meeting.

What I'm not sure is, how permanent is the change ?

As last time fresh reinstall with 14107 seemed permanent, then later on that start menu link hack helped for a bit as well. All that was not persistent.

And you will find out that it changed when you need it most. Reliability is sort of ... ehmm.

One idea is that issue might be caused by some rules applied to account or so.

Tried to figure it out with our internal IT but so far they have same info as I do as it looks.

LogMeIn Contributor

Thanks for doing all that troubleshooting @TomSilver .

Let us know the case number if the Customer Support agent is unable to make any progress.