cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Wrong Aspect Ratio/squished video when using high end camera

Problem with 16:9 video displaying squished in 4:3 mode.  Radio buttons in the settings don't work.
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Wrong Aspect Ratio/squished video when using high end camera

Hi Dave,
Sorry for that. 
Could you state which webcam model and connection type you are using on the affected PC?

Highlighted
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Dave,

Can you please provide more details? Were you using a Windows PC or a Mac? Make and model of the webcam? Were the radio buttons you tried in the GoToMeeting Preferences or the webcam software preferences?

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Highlighted
New Contributor

I have provided more details after editing the description, but it's not showing up.  I'm going to paste here as a reply.

Problem with 16:9 video displaying squished in 4:3 mode.  Radio buttons in the settings don't work. After a bunch of testing with the help of support from HuddleCam we have narrowed down the problem to certain conditions.
The issue: When using a HuddleCam G3 10x camera with a computer using a core i5-4200u or lower and a standard mechanical drive, the auto and manual aspect ration of Goto Training/Meeting video displays squished.  The Camera is a 16:9 camera and the aspect ratio gets stuck in 4:3 regardless of using the 16:9 radio button in the video settings.  Using a faster computer with faster processor and/or SSD drive seems to fix the issue.  This is based on the fact of trying several Lenovo T440s computers with i5-4200u cpu and 500GB non SSD drive. None of these computer will display the 16:9 video instead it display is 4:3 squished.  One of these T440s computer we tried had a SSD drive. Evidentally this one performance enhance was enough to tip the scales. The auto correction to the proper aspect ratio works sometimes with this computer.  It takes about 10-12 seconds after starting the video for the aspect ratio to change on it's own with this computer.  HuddleCam support also tested on different computer with similar specs without SSD drives and could not get the video to display unsquished the same as I experienced.
Note: This same camera and T440s computers display the video correctly using Skype/Skype for Business or Webex. Also tested a few other programs such as AMCAP and Windows built in camera app and those worked perfectly and reliably every time.

If I use a faster computer such as a Dell AlienWare I7 with dedicated graphics the video snaps to the proper aspect ratio within a second or two and it seems to always work. But note, initially when the video first comes up, it's squished.  It's after a second or two it pops to the right aspect ratio. Similar results with faster computers were confirmed with HuddleCam support.

The problem doesn't seem to matter what resolution the Camera is set to. I've tried using AMCAP and setting to 720p, then going into Gotomeeting, but the same problem occurs.

Interesting note:  When the aspect ratio displays properly, the 16:9 and 4:3 radio buttons in the video setting work properly when selecting between the two. In other words they actually change the video frame size and video from squished(4:3) to non-squished(16:9).  When using a computer that doesn't display the video correctly(squished), the 16:9 and 4:3 radio button just change the frame size but don't alter the videos actual aspect ratio.  In other words I get squished video in either a close to square 4:3 frame and squished video in a rectangular 16:9 frame.

More Details: The Lenovo T440s computer we have are all identical running Windows 10 ver 1607 with the latest patches.  The problem seems to happen with Windows 7 as well as we have an older similar spec'd Lenovo X220 that has the same issue.  The computers all have 8 GB of memory and 500GB 7200rpm HDD with the exception of one that has a 500GB SSD.
The HuddleCam G3 10x is a high end USB PTZ camera using a default 16:9 resolution at 1920x1080.  It uses the standard built in Windows camera driver.

Conclusion: So being that most software works fine and displays the video correctly, there must be something that Citrix can change to allow this camera to show the proper aspect ration on slightly older computers.  I did find that Amazon Chime, doesn't display the correct aspect ratio either, but it's new and they don't even have buttons or settings to alter the output resolution or aspect ratio.
Highlighted
New Contributor

One more note.  I called GotoMeeting support and explained the problem to the support person.  They said it's possibly a problem with the Windows driver or it's the camera.  Went on to say we recommend Logitech cameras.  I explained to the support person that the Camera does work fine with the Windows driver with 3 or 4 other video capture programs displaying the correct aspect ratio, but that didn't seem to affect his response. I said we needed a better camera with PTZ functionality and the standard Logitech Camera's don't offer that.  I asked "Is it not possible there is a bug or something Citrix could do to fix the issue? He continued to deny that it was a Citrix issue because the issue doesn't present it self with a cheap Microsoft 720p Web cam. He said you should get a driver from the HuddleCam people. The HuddleCam people do not make a driver they made it specifically to use the Windows built in driver.

More testing notes. The camera is USB 3, but functions with USB 2 as well.  I am using USB 3 camera and ports.  I have tried two different USB 3.0 cables as well as using USB 2 and none of that seemed to make a difference. T440s computers do have USB 3.0 ports.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Another update. We setup today to do a Citrix GotoTraining pre-meeting test with the HuddleCam 10x G3 and using a computer that has worked perfectly with the video previously.  It's a Dell computer with an i7 cpu with Nvida graphics and SSD drive.  After doing a test run, could not get Gototraining or Gotomeeting to display the video in 16:9.  The video remained squished, meaning everything looked skinnier then in should be.  This test with video and GotoTraining had worked perfectly hours before when setting up.  I also had been testing it several times over several days and the GotoTraining video always displayed correctly.

Nothing changed other than a new person logged into the computer and the Gotomeeting stuff downloaded again for the new user.  That's the only thing that was different.  I went back to my own login on the computer, launched GotoTraining and again the video remained squished.  Selecting the 16:9 or 4:3 options did nothing to correct the squished video. Resizing the video window did not trigger anything to correct itself. So again we have defaulted back to using a cheap webcam.

So just to check if there was some kind of camera issue, I opened up Skype for Business, Windows 10 Camera app, and OBS (Open Broadcast Studio).  All showed the 16:9 video in perfect format. So I'm perplexed by this now it works, now it doesn't squished video problem with GotoTraining. I guess I've ruled out the theory it had something to do with the performance of the computer.   Any ideas anybody?
Highlighted
LogMeIn Manager

Thanks for the extensive details Dave, they really help a lot, I will open a ticket for this issue with our team. I may reach out to you for additional information if they request it.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Highlighted
Active Contributor

So, I have a similar problem with a virtual cam (but not with another by the same publisher).

On Mac, iGlasses works great. The iGlasses zoom works fine. In Ecamm, same publisher, the 16:9 GTM version is actually a 4:3 letterboxed which means that it's double cropped. It's first cropped into a 4:3 and then by selecting 16:9, top and bottom are cropped. Very bizarre!!!!

Tags (2)
Highlighted
New Contributor

I have this same issue using a Canon HF r800 camera going through a Mirabox USB 3.0 capture card. For several months this worked great, but in the last week or two the video looks elongated. No settings in GotoWebinar affect it. 

Previously, when I started my video it would appear elongated for 2 -3 seconds and then snap into the correct aspect ratio. Now it never corrects itself. Video looks fine in Windows Camera, Zoom, and Teams. In Zoom I have to select the "HD Option" for it work, but then it works fine. Only GoToWebinar has this problem.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Thank you for the hardware details, @bkaz .   We will look into the change of behavior with GoToMeeting webcam feeds.