cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glnzglnz
Active Contributor

GTMP viewer not good on Mac Ventura June 2023

Just got a used 2019 MacBook Pro from my wife, and I want to use it to connect to (see) my work PC via GoToMyPC, which is already installed with a license on my work PC.  To clarify, I am using my MacBook Pro to see and control my office PC.

First, I continue to have difficulty even putting a shortcut icon for the GTMP viewer on my MacBook Pro desktop.  GTMP is not even in the Apple Apps Store.   Maybe the way to do this is first to use Safari to go to GTMP, make a good connection to my office PC, and then find something on the Safari web page for GTMP to put an icon on my Mac desktop?  Is that the right way?  What exactly should go onto my MacBook Pro desktop?

Second, when the GTMP viewer is running, it won't Quit.  I always have to Force Quit it.

Third,  I can't get a connection unless the WiFi connection for the MacBook is pretty fast at that moment.  If it's a bit slow, like 50 Mbps or less, the viewer will start but not actually display anywhere on the MacBook.

Fourth, GTMP seems not to provide any Help or instructions anywhere for running the viewer on a Mac.

Fifth, since I'm using a Mac keyboard to control a PC, how do the keys map for PC shortcuts?  For example, what should I type on my MacBook Pro to be the equivalent of the PC's CTRL+S (for save) or the PC's ALT+Tab (to cycle through the PC's running apps) or the PC's Win+P (to change the PC's display from Extend to Single Screen)?

10 REPLIES 10
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: GTMP viewer not working well on Mac Ventura June 2023

Hi @glnzglnz,

1. This support article explains how to create a desktop shortcut to your Host computer while you are connected to it: How do I create a desktop shortcut?
  2. When you end a session can you please try clicking on GoToMyPC in the top toolbar and then select Quit and Disconnect from the menu?
  3. 50 Mbps should be enough, but there are a couple of things you can try to improve things: adjust your Host Preferences and run our Connection Wizard on your Host PC.
  4. Our support articles call out differences between the PC and Mac experiences either in notes on the article or separate instructions as necessary.
  5. This support article covers this: What are Mac and Windows equivalent keys?

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
glnzglnz
Active Contributor

GlennD - thanks.

I'll try your suggestions when I can. 

However, as to #2, I was doing exactly that and still had to use Force Quit every time.  But let's see.

CHADD2
New Contributor

We are having the same issue as well.  When we remote in the Viewer crashes and its just a blank screen.  The host computer is unable to connect.  Can someone please resolve this?

KateG
GoTo Moderator

Hi @CHADD2 welcome to the GoTo Community. The viewer crashing leaving you with a  blank screen appears to be different from what the OP is reporting. Are you able to connect the Host using a different computer? Have you tried using a non Mac client? 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
glnzglnz
Active Contributor

Re: GTMP viewer not good on Mac Ventura June 2023

I'm the OP.

over the last few weeks, Apple fully repaired my MacBook Pro 2019, replacing its board.

This past weekend, from home (with a 300Mbps WiFi connection to the internet via Verizon FIOS) I used Safari  to go to GoToMyPC.com.  I logged on with my GTMP user name and was able to download and run the .dmg for the GTMP viewer and to connect to the Microsoft PC (Dell Optiplex 7060) in my office, which is running its host remote connection version of GTMP.

After a bit of a wait (too long), it connected and showed my office PC desktop, and I was able to control my office PC from my home MacBook Pro.

However, the Viewer still does not Quit on the Mac.  I must Force Quit it on the Mac.  Understand this is a pristine Mac, on which the GTMP viewer is the first and only app I have installed!

And then, when I try to re-connect, the Viewer launch tells me there's already an instance of GTMP running on the target PC and do I want to cancel that instance?  Only after I hit yes does the whole thing connect, but it takes a while.

Bottom line - GTMP viewer is not working correctly on Mac OS Ventura.  LogMeIn needs to fix and update it.

CHADD2
New Contributor

Kate,

Please look at what the OP said in the original post.  Can GoToMyPC fix this issue instead of deflecting?  We are now seeing this with older OS Mac's now, not just Ventura.  

Issue:

1) The viewer cant connect nor can one close down the view without force quit or Task manager "end Task" (windows) 

2) At first we thought it was just Ventura then it became apparent its all Mac OS.  

AbhishekYadav
GoTo Moderator

Can you please DM me your registered email address with G2MPC?  We have upgraded most of the customers on macOS who may face issues, with an earlier supported G2P app version, due to some filters we might have missed your email.

At the same time we are also working on rolling out a new version this week, I shall have you guys upgraded in couple of days on that version as well.

glnzglnz
Active Contributor

Abhishek - Thanks.  Which versions are which?

I'd rather wait for GTMP viewer on Mac Ventura to upload its own fix ... unless you are saying that won't happen automatically on Mac Ventura?

Do we have to update GTMP viewer manually?  How do we do that?  (There's nothing in the App Store.)

But if anyone else here emails his direct email to Abhishek, please let us know what happens.

AbhishekYadav
GoTo Moderator

You might be on latest G2P app version ( I won't be sure until I have your email address). The version with which you won't face any issue would be build 3646, which me or care team can set-it up for you for time being. All you will have to do is restart G2P service before  G2P app version downgrade. Manual update can be done from host app by clicking on "check for updates" .

I have not received DM from anyone, but if I do, I will set-up the update available for the account.

Regarding the latest version with fix of this issue, we will start rolling that out from mid week.