cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klmonline
Contributor

Closing control panel panes on Mac

I'm a Windows user, so no ability to test Mac functionality myself. Is it true that there is no way for Mac panelists/organizers to close unwanted control panel panes as they can on Windows? There seems to be no X option in the gray section titles and no View command to select/deselect panes. Is there another method that Mac users have available?

4 REPLIES 4
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Closing control panel panes on Mac

Hi @klmonline

In the GoToWebinar control panel for Macs, there is a triangle icon to the left of each section that can be clicked on to expand or minimize a specific section. The Attendee and Questions panes can be broken out, moved to another screen, and expanded. If you close either window they return to the main control panel again.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
klmonline
Contributor

So, no.  (Not making fun of you, Glenn... I appreciate the extra definition to help explain the Mac interface).

But this is a serious design problem. It makes it very difficult to explain to guest presenters how to manipulate their control panel when the interface is significantly different based on the operating system. Collapsing panes is not equivalent to closing them - especially on laptop screens where vertical space is at a premium. I'd certainly like to request adding the functionality as a future product enhancement.

Thanks.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Can you please provide some more details about how you typically use GoToWebinar and why you would need to fully remove panes from the control panel rather than collapse them? Given that 1080p has been the minimum standard for screens for a while now, how is the small amount of space created by fully closing collapsed panes making a difference? 

(I use a 2018 MacBook Pro and a Windows desktop PC daily. ) 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
klmonline
Contributor

Sure, Glenn.

I moderate many webinars for different clients. They often bring in multiple guest presenters and staff working behind the scenes to prioritize questions, etc.  I try to minimize cognitive and visual load on them so they can concentrate on necessary tasks without having to think about repeated manipulation of interface controls. 

I can say "Get rid of the Dashboard pane, you don't need it. Get rid of the Polls pane, I'll take care of that. Get rid of the Handouts pane, we're not using it." Half the people I'm talking to follow along and close those panes. Then somebody says, "I don't understand what you mean... There's no X on the right of the gray bar like you said."

"Oh, that's all right... Just click on the View command at the top of the control panel and you can uncheck those panes."

"I still don't understand. There is no View command at the top of the control panel."

So now I'm trying to explain one method of customizing and controlling the interface to part of my group and another way of doing things for the others. It adds time and confusion. There is a qualitative difference in interface complexity between collapsing and expanding panes vs removing unused controls from the display completely. And it's simply more logical to have a single interface for the product that works the same way for all users. I think it would be a useful enhancement. If your design engineers thought it was a good idea for Windows users to be able to remove control panes, that functionality should be equally valuable to Mac users.

Thanks,
--Ken