cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rach1
Active Contributor

Home Wifi when hosting a Webinar

Hello all,

Apologies if a topic has already started on this, I could not locate it. 

I have a general question about hosting webinars from home on my home wifi connection.  I have run a few webinars with an average of 200 people online from home for the past few months during lock down in the UK. 

I always feel a bit panicky about my home wifi!  I wonder if it is as stable as wifi in my office location.  

If my wifi connection was to fall over mid-webinar, is there any safety net? Or will the entire webinar come to a crashing halt?

Thanks for your help - I hope you may be able to put my mind at rest in some way!

Rach

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Home Wifi when hosting a Webinar

If you as the Organizer loose connection with the webinar, you have five minutes to reconnect before the webinar ends by itself.

I always have a second computer connected as an Organizer in case the main computer crashes.  That second computer will maintain the webinar until I can get the main computer reconnected.

But you asked about the wifi going down.  For my big webinars, I always have a remote person as a Co-Organizer.  If I loose everything, that Co-Organizer can keep the webinar going until I can get reconnected.

https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToWebinar-Discussions/Webinar-ends-after-5-minutes-if-organizer-i... 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

If you as the Organizer loose connection with the webinar, you have five minutes to reconnect before the webinar ends by itself.

I always have a second computer connected as an Organizer in case the main computer crashes.  That second computer will maintain the webinar until I can get the main computer reconnected.

But you asked about the wifi going down.  For my big webinars, I always have a remote person as a Co-Organizer.  If I loose everything, that Co-Organizer can keep the webinar going until I can get reconnected.

https://community.logmein.com/t5/GoToWebinar-Discussions/Webinar-ends-after-5-minutes-if-organizer-i... 

Rach1
Active Contributor

Hi Chris - thank you so much for your prompt reply.  This is really interesting, and extremely positive news! Thank you!
I actually have a co-organiser with me on these webinars, to help with the Questions Panel. So, hopefully then, that means if my wifi goes down for any reason, the session will switch over to the Co-Organiser's Wifi? That's great news. Thank you.

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Yes, any Organizer or Co-Organizer can keep the webinar going.

As a side note:  If you are the only Organizer, and you voluntary leave the webinar, GoTo will ask if you want to promote an Attendee to be an Organizer to keep the webinar going.

Rach1
Active Contributor

Thank you Chris - so that means the allocated Attendee's wifi will take over?  That's great to know.  Thank you!

I appreciate your prompt attention to this question, it gives me one less thing to worry about on a webinar we are running this afternoon. 🙂

Many thanks!

Rach

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

To keep the metting going, the wifi or Internet connection is based on whomever is the Organizer.  You can have multiple Organizers at one time, but you have to have at least one.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

I just want to mention here, that we increased the event timeout period to closer to 30 minutes without an Organizer present.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
Rach1
Active Contributor

That's great to know Chris - thank you for all your help.

Rach

Rach1
Active Contributor

Hi Ash

That's fantastic to hear!  That gives me great reassurance.

Thank you for all your help and support with this query.  I really appreciate your prompt responses to this.

Many thanks and best wishes!