cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sarah17
New Contributor

How do I ensure panelists always have the ability to advance their own slides?

On our last webinar, our panelists had a ton of trouble advancing their own slides. Our organizer ended up having to do it for them (and there was, of course, many awkward moments where they would ask her to advance, she would, it would take a while, they'd ask again, etc.). It kind of broke the momentum of the webinar. How do I ensure we know going into a webinar that the presenters/panelists are able to control the slides themselves (and what's the best way for them to do so...mouse? arrow keys? etc?)? Any other best practices regarding this we should know?
7 REPLIES 7
Adrian Iglesias
Contributor

Re: How do I ensure panelists always have the ability to advance their own slides?

Hi Sarah,

If someone is presenting, that means that they are sharing their own screen.  They should have no problem advancing slides as they are controlling their own computer and presentation directly.

If they are trying to control someone else's screen that is being shared then a couple of things need to happen.  Of course, one who will be advancing the slides needs to be given keyboard/mouse control over the computer that is being shared.  Along with that, the owner of the computer being shared should not be using their keyboard/mouse themselves at the same time, as local control of devices will always outrank remote control.

Whenever possible, I always recommend that if a screen is being shared, the person who is advancing the slides should be the same person that has the presentation shared from their computer.  That way there is no control conflict, no issue with internet latency, etc.  It just makes everything much simpler. 

Thanks,
Adrian

Sarah17
New Contributor

Re: How do I ensure panelists always have the ability to advance their own slides?

Thank you, Adrian. This makes sense. So as the organizer, is the best option--in your opinion--to pass over full control over to each panelist as they begin their portion of the webinar? And, I suppose, we encourage them to have  the full slide deck pulled up on their computer (starting at their portion of the presentation)?
Adrian Iglesias
Contributor

Yes, that's how I would approach it to minimize any potential spots where something could go askew.
KathleenVR
New Contributor

Hello, I just hosted my 1st webinar earlier this week and while everything went well during our test-run, on the actual day of the event my panelist - once given Presenter Controls - could not see his slides?  He saw himself on the screen but could not locate his slides?  Did he do something wrong when 'sharing screen'?  We eventually managed to pull up his slides but he could not use his webcam or the slides were gone.  

2nd issue he had was that he could not advance his slides.  I am now guessing this had something to do with his ppt settings?

It was a little bit frustrating as this was my 1st webinar and I really wanted it to go smoothly but I believe (pls correct me if I'm wrong) that the issue was on the Panelist side and not my side?

Thanks for any feedback / tips on how to instruct a Panelist in case this would happen again.

regards

Kathleen 

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

When you say the Presenter could not see his slides, could you see the Presenter's slides?  When you make someone the presenter, a little window pops up on his screen that he must click to enable him to share his screen. If the Presenter was clicking on things on his computer at that same time, then that little window could have slipped behind other windows.

It would be odd for a Presenter to not even see the PowerPoint running on his own computer.  Did he accidentally quit PowerPoint rather than start the slide show?

Did he try to share just the PowerPoint application or try to share an entire computer display?

If he could not use his webcam, maybe he could not find his way back to the GoTo Control Panel to enable the webcam?

If the Presenter clicks on anything other than the PowerPoint show, this includes clicking on the GoTo Control Panel trying to get his webcam to work, the keyboard and mouse will not work with PowerPoint.  The Presenter needs to click on the PowerPoint window in order for the mouse and keyboard to work with that program.  The mouse and keyboard can work with only one program at a time. (There are some exceptions for scrolling in a window.)  Clicking back in the PowerPoint Show window should allow the Presenter to use mouse and keyboard to advance slides.

KathleenVR
New Contributor

Hello Chris, many thanks for your feedback!

Yes we could see his slides on the screen and himself on the webcam so for us as audience, it was as expected.

So as for him not seeing his slides, that is still a mystery to me.  I am guessing he shared his screen in Clean mode so not showing the taskbar, so if he did not share his screen starting from the ppt being ready, he then could not see the taskbar anymore hence could not find his way back to the ppt?

As for the slides not moving, I believe this might have had something to do with him clicking outside the ppt, I tested this myself now as well and have added this info to my instruction sheet used during the dry run session.

To avoid issues, might this be a rather good set-up to start presenting?

1. Set ppt is to the first slide of the presentation (not yet in presentation mode)
  2. Share screen
  3. Open webcam
  4. Click back in the powerpoint to start  presentation
  5. Start presenting

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

That sounds like a good plan.

This is much easier when you have two displays on the Presenter computer.  You can have the GoTo stuff on one display and the PowerPoint show to share on the other display.