cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArtyLive
Active Contributor

Persistent user issues: Browser not loading webcasts at start, audio doesn't play, frozen screens

Hi everyone - 

We offer 3-6 webinars (webcast) a week with an average of 200-300 participants. For 99% of those users, their experience is flawless and we don't receive any complaints. I will also say that, as presenters, we've never had any of these issues. Our experience from delivering webinars has been terriffic. That's not much help to our customers who are frustrated because they can only view the recordedings after our live events.

For the other participants, we continue to see the same handful of issues in every session:

1. Users are not auto-joined to the webinar. The session begins at the top of the hour and invariably a few users message us to as if we're going to start the webinar. For most users, a browser refresh fixes the issue. For others, they never get in.
  2. Audio/Video: Users see/hear one or the other but not both. Often, refreshing the browser fixes some issues but not all.
  3. Frozen screens: The video stops for users during the session.

We send users the system check page: https://support.logmeininc.com/gotowebinar/system-check-attendee-recorded and in nearly every case, they pass the check flawlessly.

What we would like help with:

1. Some type of checklist or step-by-step guide we can offer users to troubleshoot their issues. 
  2. Contact info for users that (ideally) would be able to help users immediately during our sessions. I get that type of request could be unreasonable but we're just seeing a consistent number of frustrated customers who experience one or more of the same issues.
  3. Any specific links or resources we can use to pull together a support page for users.

What we know about the users who experience issues:

1. Browsers don't seem to be the issue. When we ask users which browers they're using, it's a fair mix so our only suggestion has been to try a different browser. That's not always possible for corporate users.
  2. Users are in both home and corporate environments.
  3. Almost all of the users pass the LogMeIn system check for webinars. They're bandwidth is strong and their browsers and OS are supported.

We're in our 3rd year doing these webinars and the problems grow as the number of participants grows. Again, we're talking 5-10 people per session but it's still derailing our moderators each time.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

13 REPLIES 13
AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Persistent user issues: Browser not loading webcasts at start, audio doesn't play, frozen screen

@ArtyLive I am sorry for the reported issues your attendees are experiencing.

My biggest question would be if these are the same group of participants experiencing issues, or in the same locations perhaps?  Sometime a security plugin, or javascript error might cause a problem.  As a best practice, they can always check with the developer (Microsoft, Firefox, Google etc.) for any available updates, and make sure they start their browser fresh without any other web pages open in the background.

While we do receive sporadic reports of web browser trouble from attendees, the causes are not always the same.  When we can, gathering HAR log files during the error help us understand where the problem lies.

ArtyLive
Active Contributor

Re: Persistent user issues: Browser not loading webcasts at start, audio doesn't play, frozen screen

As you know, if the webinar stream is going out right, there's not much we (the presenters) can do to mitigate issues for those in attendance.

We'd like to give our users a simple troubleshooting process that outlines possible causes and what they can do. Ans directions for next steps if those don't work.

For example, here are common issues. Also, we have quite a few users who attend a lot of our webinars that work, and then intermittently they can't access or they have other tech issues.

We always do webcast webinars. Assume everything is working properly at our end.

• People sign-in to the webinar early. When the webinar starts their page doesn't reflect that the room is open so they just sit there waiting with a message stating the webinar will start soon (or whatever the message is).
  • During the webinar, the video plays, but the audio cuts out. 
  • Some people see a chat and question icon, some only see the chat icon.
  • When they attempt to view the video recording they get the message: error setting up player, invalid license key.

It would be nice to have a single troubleshooting resource with common reasons why it happens and how to fix. And if they can't resolve it, where do they go to get them resolved?

We really don't have time to troubleshoot the technical issues people have accessing your webinar tech. On top of that, they don't see the issues as their problem or a problem with the webinar tech, they see them as poor service at our end. 

I'd like to better service our customers who are using your service to view the webinars. Thanks.

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

@ArtyLive  We completely support you and your attendees, so anyone using the platform can call directly into support when they experience any sort of problem. 

The most common issue with broken audio / video feeds is a local area network connectivity faiulre.  This could be caused by WiFi delays or latency within the network itself.  Each scenario could be different.

Attendees shoudl also not join the webinar too soon, as the 'hallway' for entry is only open 60 minutes before the start of the scheduled broadcast.  This can explain why some might see the message, but without more investigating we can only suggest that they leave the webinar and rejoin again if it is already after the scheduled start time and they see "Waiting for Organizer".

The message "Invalid License Key" can be cause by a network firewall, or a browser like Microsoft Edge.  Make sure they are using an updated, supported web browser if the Attendees see this message in the future.

** Chat is only available if you direct-message an attendee, so they may respond directly back.  Chat between Attendees is not currently an option, and Chat is not activated by default for any attendee --- only members of your Staff.

ArtyLive
Active Contributor

Thanks
Golder
Active Contributor

I am also having this same audio join issue with my webinars. Some staff join with no audio issues and others are not prompted to select their audio. I have the webinar set to prompt from audio. Please fix. My staff are getting frustrated with GoToWebinar and are asking to use Teams.

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

I have seen more GoToWebinar audio issues within the last few years.

I always tell folks to reboot their computer before they join a GoToWebinar.  Many do not want to do this and probably have not rebooted their computer in many months.

Other virtual meeting tools, like Zoom, Teams, etc. can grab the audio (mic and speakers) on the computer and not let GoTo use it.  Even after you quit Zoom, Teams, etc. there can still be a program running in the background that holds onto the audio.  Rebooting is the only way to fix this.

Golder
Active Contributor

I have noticed that if the affected staff click on their Audio control in GoToWebinar, select a different audio option; such as headset; then reselect their original audio preference, the audio connects and fixes itself. It is a lot of steps, and frustrating for the user, but it seems to work.

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Yes, working with my presenters, I have found that they can select No Audio, then select Computer Audio, will fix many sound problems.  If that does not work, then rebooting is best.

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

@Golder  @Chris Droessler   Are these presenters being upgraded after joining as an Attendee?

** The Attendee webcast experience of having to refresh when a new presenter takes over is not normal, and we are close to resolving this ourselves.