Forum Discussion

BravaCentauri83
New Contributor
3 days ago

Connected laptop acts entirely different when lid is open versus closed

I recently purchased an ASUS laptop and added it to our Central account as a device to connect to. Laptop is Windows 11 Home, and it has integrated Intel Xe graphics. No dedicated GPU and no external monitors hooked up to it. The laptop was configured to never go to sleep when on AC power, and power mode was set to performance. The first two days of use had no issues. The lid was closed, and I was able to do my work remotely. Immediately after two days I noticed the following behavior:

• Some of my Windows programs and folders will either open or not open. File explorer will not show at all. Entirely a hit or miss on what will open. 
  • The Start menu will not display when clicked on.
  • I can open a program like MS Edge, but I cannot close it. 
  • I can Alt+Tab to see the available open windows to cycle thru, but it will not display the window I want. 

Here's what happens next... When my laptop lid is opened, all of these windows and registered clicks will then work. Meaning that instance of MS Excel I tried to open or File Explorer will pop up multiple times. Basically, it appears everything decides to "work" once the laptop's lid is open. Before anyone says it's the laptop, I hooked up an external monitor to see if it has to do with the lid being closed at all. I can confirm the issues are NOT repeated with an external monitor. Laptop works like normal. 

We have a Dell Latitude laptop connected to our Central account, and after turning off all the sleep settings etc.., that one has no issues when the lid is closed. Apps and windows work perfectly fine. It also has an integrated Intel GPU (I forget if it's Xe or an older chip). 

So, in short, I need help troubleshooting why this is happening when the lid is closed and connected to Logmein and how to make it work while keeping the lid closed. 

BravaCentauri83
      New Contributor

GlennD It was doing that before I had connected the monitor. Prior to that I never had a monitor connected. I only hooked it up for the purposes of making sure the laptop functioned normally with the lid closed while in front of it and not using Logmein. 

Having said that, I re-connected the monitor (laptop lid still closed), connected to the laptop via Logmein, and opened programs. Everything opened on the main laptop display and not the secondary external monitor. I then disconnected from Logmein, turned off the laptop, unplugged the monitor, rebooted and re-connected. it repeated the same symptoms as my first post. 

I did the Windows snapping keyboard shortcuts to reconfirm nothing was "hidden" on a display that wasn't showing. I used all instances of the Win key + up, down, left, right arrows to no success.

Finally, the suggestion doesn't answer the other part of my issues - the programs or windows that actually launch and display for me will not close when I click the X at the top right of a program. And when I click on the Windows start menu nothing pops up. These items have nothing to do with potential things appearing off-screen.