cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tophneal
Active Contributor

Unattended agent not correctly reinstalling

I learned today one of our Windows devices was mistakenly removed from the GoToResolve console. Upon sending the user a link for a remote session and joining it, I tried several times to uninstall the Unattended Agent (through the context menu for the app in the system tray and Settings > Apps.)

Each uninstall seemed to work correctly, but when I sent a more recent installer for the Unattended Agent to their computer to reinstall and add back to the console, each time the agent installation failed claiming that it could not create the working directory (sorry I don't have the exact error message text on hand.)

What causes this error? How can I get around the error to get the agent to reinstall and add the device back to my console correctly? Do I need to uninstall it and delete any remnants that may be left behind in the Program Files directory? Given this user is in our executive group, I'd like to resolve this issue as quickly and simply as possible so I don't have to bother them to start an attended session if all I need is to run a few lines in Terminal/PowerShell.

57 REPLIES 57
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Re: Unattended agent not correctly reinstalling

Hi @tophneal,

I believe this is a result of some files being left behind after Unattended access was removed, and that rebooting the computer will clear them out. Just incase that does not correct the issue, I am going to email you a zipped cleanup script that will remove any lingering files from the previous install.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
tophneal
Active Contributor

Thank you, I've received your email/script! As soon as I can schedule time with the user to uninstall, run the script, and reinstall, I'll mark this question as answered!

Correction: the script does not appear to be attached to the email you sent.

GlennD
GoTo Manager

It was most likely stripped from the email for security. I've uploaded it to OneDrive and shared a link to it with you via email, hopefully you are able to access it this way.

tophneal
Active Contributor

OneDrive link worked like a treat. Thanks, again!

Kevin_C
Active Contributor

I have the same issue. Can I please get the file to run so I can clean this pc up?

Thanks!

bill_AZ
Active Contributor

Hello - I'm experiencing what I think is the same issue on multiple devices. Here's a screenshot of the error:

bill_AZ_0-1716390855728.png

This issue happens with both an EXE and MSI file. Is the afore mentioned script a possible fix or should I gather log files from Event Viewer?

Thanks - Bill

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @bill_AZ,

Are you trying to reinstall Unattended Support or are these fresh installs? This script only removes files left behind after Unattended Support is removed (normally they would be removed when the computer is rebooted).

bill_AZ
Active Contributor

Hi Glenn - I believe they had previous versions of the agent installed at one time that stopped reporting. The devices were removed from the GTR dashboard due to lack of communication after XX amount of days.

The error message I receive is from a new download and appears during the install process. 

Thanks - Bill

GlennD
GoTo Manager

@bill_AZ I've shared a link to you via email for downloading the script