cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdavis714
Active Contributor

MacOS Mojave Privacy Setting Causes Chicken or Egg Dilemma

Recently installed the latest version of MacOS as of 20180924 (Mojave) on a test laptop. The first issue I have noticed is that when connecting to this client for the first time, it will not allow the "technician" to control the computer until a privacy setting has been modified. 

The main problem with this is, the privacy setting modification required admin rights... which only the technicians in my situation have!

As of now, it seems like one of our technicians will have to modify this in-person on each computer, which is not practical since many computers are remote.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cdavis714
Active Contributor

Re: MacOS Mojave Privacy Setting Causes Chicken or Egg Dilemma

All,

As the OP, I appreciate everyone's feedback over the past year (in two days...) on this issue.

I'm not sure if anyone has tried this solution yet, but I believe I've (finally) figured out something that works... at least for me. 

New Computer:

• When setting up the new Mac (with Mojave), install GoToAssist Unattended as usual.
    • Note that after the install, you'll notice nothing new show up in the Privacy settings... and it would only show up when trying to connect later on and control.
  • To get ahead of this, navigate to the privacy settings accessibility window
  • Separately, in Finder, navigate to 

/Library/Application\ Support/GoToAssistRemoteSupport/GoToAssist\ Customer.app/Contents/Helpers

• Find the file, "g2ax_launchagent_customer"
  • Click and drag that file into the "Allow the apps below to control your computer" window.
    • Note that this needs admin, but if you're performing the install of unattended support then that would be expected regardless.

Existing Computer - Mojave Upgrade:

• Follow the same steps as above for a new computer, skipping the install of GoToAssist Unattended (assuming it's already installed)
  • After adding the file to the accessibility window, continue to upgrade to Mojave

At this point, the computer is ready to be given to the user. You should now be able to use GoToAssist and control the computer. 

View solution in original post

89 REPLIES 89
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

Yes, this new security feature being introduced by Apple is going to create some extra work initially. If you decide to upgrade clients to Mojave, you will need to make sure someone is present at the Mac to give the various applications permission. 

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
LRP
Active Contributor

Also cannot type password on sign-in screen on Mojave & Release 1610.

Could do it on Release 1599.

Tried from Windows GTA Expert & iPhone GTA.

Regards,

LRP

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @LRP

Just to confirm;

• The Mac was already running Mojave and you had been connecting to it using build 1599 successfully?
  • You had already gone through the new Mojave security prompts and allowed GTA-RS?
  • After the Unattended Mac updated to build 1610 you can still connect but are unable to login because it won't let you enter the password?

Through the manage devices in your account, you can switch the Macs device group back to build 1599 and see if it will let you enter your password. I'll report this to the team.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.
Do you want a new feature added? Make sure you Kudo (vote) for the Idea

Free user and admin training
LRP
Active Contributor

Hi @LRP

Just to confirm;

The Mac was already running Mojave and you had been connecting to it using build 1599 successfully?  - YES

You had already gone through the new Mojave security prompts and allowed GTA-RS? – YES

After the Unattended Mac updated to build 1610 you can still connect but are unable to login because it won't let you enter the password? – Correct, cannot remotely type in the password. Has to be entered locally.

Through the manage devices in your account, you can switch the Macs device group back to build 1599 and see if it will let you enter your password. – Yes, “downgraded” all my remote Mac’s to Release 1599 to be able to type in password.

I'll report this to the team. – Thank you.

EKKG
Active Contributor

Logged on to customers computer (Mojave & 1599) successfully. Could not control mouse, had customer open Security & Privacy, unlock and put a check mark next to g2ax.launchagent.customer. Still could not control mouse or keyboard, had customer restart. Had a lot of difficulty connecting and when I finally did, still could not control mouse or keyboard. BTW, same goes with TeamViewer, would not allow me to connect at all.

shultzm

Hi there,

Can you be a bit more specific with what privacy setting you modified? We are seeing this same issue on our end, but I'm not sure what you changed.

Thank you!

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@shultzm  At the Mac work station itself: 

1. Go to System Preferences from the Apple menu in the top-left
  2. Click on Security & Privacy
  3. Go to the Privacy tab and click Accessibility on the left menu
  4. Check the GoToAssist Expert app, RescueAssist app, or the Rescue applet
  5. Save the change

This should resolve the issue, although they may need to re-launch and/or re-download the app and start it again.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
John4111
Active Contributor

So I'm having this issue on a remote user's mac I'm trying to support, should I add GotoAssist Customer (XXXX)?  When I do it appears as g2ax_starter_customer in the list but no keyboard.  There is no GotoAssist Expert on this unattended install.

Thx

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@John4111  There is no special process to bypass the Mac security feature.  The Mac User should allow GoToAssist, and then you can connect in directly.  

** I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "in the list but no keyboard".

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!