cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiredtech
Active Contributor

What happens if you lose your phone or it is damaged and use Lasspass Authenticator?

Hi,

I recently enabled 2FA on the GTA service.  In doing that, I have not yet setup backup of the Authenticator through Lastpass.  I do backup my phone however using iCloud backup.

I was wondering though what would be the recovery process if I lost my phone or it was damaged?

Right now as it stands, when I login to GTA portal, I'm required to provide the 2FA code from the phone.  If I don't have access to my phone I won't be able to do that and it looks like the only option I have would be to click on the "Forgot Password" link at the portal.

If someone knows the process that would be needed to get back into GTA when a phone is lost or damaged and 2FA with Lastpass was active that would be very helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: What happens if you lose your phone or it is damaged and use Lasspass Authenticator?

This description from our support documentation may make more sense: 

If you ever lose or replace your Two-Factor enabled device, you can go through the enrollment process again on your new device. This will replace the previously established Two-Factor Authentication tied to your account, so that the GoTo app authenticates with the most recently enrolled device.

NOTE: If you are using the LastPass Authenticator, you can use LastPass Authenticator’s cloud backup to restore your multi-factor tokens if you lose or replace your phone. You can reinstall LastPass Authenticator on your mobile device, and your account credentials are available on the device, including your two-factor tokens.

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

Re: What happens if you lose your phone or it is damaged and use Lasspass Authenticator?

Hi @tiredtech ,

If you lose the phone associated with your GoToAssist Remote Support login, just re-install the app when you receive your new mobile device (assuming the phone number has not changed).

If necessary you can also temporarily turn of 2-Factor Authentication through your online account until you have your new phone set up again.

tiredtech
Active Contributor

Thanks for the update but I'm not getting it.

If I have 2FA in place I can't access the portal to turn it off without the auth code.  And just reinstalling the app back on the phone won't do it I don't think.  Won't I need to add back the Logmein account to the LP Auth app?  How will I do that without access to the GTA portal.

I could just test this all but really don't want to lock myself out of GTA.

I could also setup backup on the LP auth app but don't want to do that if I don't have to.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

This description from our support documentation may make more sense: 

If you ever lose or replace your Two-Factor enabled device, you can go through the enrollment process again on your new device. This will replace the previously established Two-Factor Authentication tied to your account, so that the GoTo app authenticates with the most recently enrolled device.

NOTE: If you are using the LastPass Authenticator, you can use LastPass Authenticator’s cloud backup to restore your multi-factor tokens if you lose or replace your phone. You can reinstall LastPass Authenticator on your mobile device, and your account credentials are available on the device, including your two-factor tokens.

tiredtech
Active Contributor

Thank you so much AshC!  That is exactly what I was looking for.

When I followed the link in your quote it detailed the process for resetting 2FA.  Now that I see those details I understand how things would work to get reconnected.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@tiredtech  Great to hear.  Sorry for any confusion!