cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CurtCruver
New Contributor

giving mouse and keyboard control

I find it aggravating that you cannot give mouse and keyboard control to anyone that does not have the GoTo app installed on their computer and has to use the browser.  We work with many clients in many industries and rarely are they GoTo customers so, this fucntionality is often not available to us with undermines the potential power of collaboration.  I was told by your tech support that this has always been the case--I call BS.  We have been an early adopter of GoToMeeting all the way back to when it was it's own company.  And I know that this was not always the case.

From our perspective:  We have committed to using this product for our video meetings yet because it does not have this very important collaboration tool for the browser user we are now forced to rethink our choice for video conferencing.   When we have to ask our clients to install software on their machines to maximize our interactions.  This puts us at a dis-advantage.

From your perspective:  We are consultants with a wide variety of clients and there exists opportunity there for you (GoTo Provider) to gain free marketing and advertising  every time we introduce one of our clients to your product.  However, when they are limited by arbitrary feature limitations it undermines that experience and spoils your brand to potential customers.  The result usually is:  "lets just use Teams" or "lets just use Zoom".  ...and you've lost a potential customer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: giving mouse and keyboard control

Requesting Remote Control for mouse and keyboard is now available for all!

Please read all about it here

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @CurtCruver, welcome to the community.

I can confirm that our support representative was correct, the attendee giving control of their computer has always been required to join the meeting using the GoToMeeting desktop software.

Originally the web app was introduced to support attendees in locked-down environments and those that did not want to install software to attend a meeting, but being browser-based it had some limitations. Chrome has improved a lot since then, so I am checking with our team to see if granting remote access from the web app is on the current roadmap.

Glenn is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!.

deBestMeetings
Visitor

Hi GlennD,

When will the ability to give mouse and keyboard control be available in the new GoTo app. I'm using GoTo 3.27.1 on macOS 12.4.

I'm a daily join.me user for my job and am looking for the same functionality on GoTo.

Thanks in advance.

Rich dG 

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi @deBestMeetings, welcome to the community.

The ability to give someone remote control is already available in the new GoTo App experience, you can read about it here.

The ability to request Mouse and Keyboard access is slated to be available soon. We will update this Community thread once it's available. 

Note: In order to give remote control you have to be on the desktop app and actively sharing your screen. To receive remote control access you have to be on either the desktop app or web.

MakotoShimizu
New Contributor

GoodByeJoinMe

Hey GlennD,

That suggestion worked perfectly!

Is there a way that the presenter can ask for mouse/keyboard control like in join.me. The advantage of that is that the presenter can just request it instead of having to instruct the attendee to grant control.

Also, can GoTo remember the previous meeting names for the attendees like join.me.

Cheers,

Rich

Cheers,

Rich

GlennD
GoTo Manager

Hi,

Currently, that is not a feature, however, I have brought it up with the team as a feature enhancement.

KateG
GoTo Moderator

Hi all, 

Please note requesting Mouse and Keyboard access is slated to be available soon. We will update this Community thread once it's available. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Bosand
Active Contributor

Same here.  It was one of the main features for us on GTM.

BrettUT
Active Contributor

Since this new design, 100% of my calls have turned into an absurd process of banging everyone's heads against the wall to try and make the basic 'give control' function work.

In talking with support, we went into settings and disabled the ability for people to join via the web, but that solved nothing.

The problem is that when you send a link to a client, or they join from a meeting with that link,  what GoTo is pushing as the downloader is the older GoToMeeting installer (orange icon w/ white asterisk).  

What your clients have to do is install the new GoTo for Windows app so that they can properly give control.  

As Glenn mentioned, you as the organizer cannot request control right now, but if your attendees have installed the new correct app, the control process does work.

GoTo support says that they are still working on the program - I mean, sure, but I know I've been dealing with this control mouse/keyboard issue for at least 6 months and they need to stop including the wrong installers which is what I think has turned all of my meetings into an apology session for this program that can't work properly.