cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSchifano
Active Contributor

Organizer microphone not visible in panel and muted

Hello, 

We had an organizer join a webinar. The icon for his microphone was not visible at all - red or green - when he joined and he was muted and could only activate his webcam, not his microphone icon.

A panelist joined the same webinar and initially had the same issue, but after a moment they were able to activate their microphone.

Other than logging out and back in again, is there something else we could do?

5 REPLIES 5
Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

Re: Organizer microphone not visible in panel and muted

When you join the webinar, sometimes the window that allows you to choose Computer Audio or Phone Audio gets hidden behind other windows.  Until you click an option in that window, you will not be able to unmute.

You can try going to the GoTo Control Panel, in the Audio section select No Audio, then reselect Computer Audio. That fixes some audio issues.

I had that same issue many years ago and did not know the tricks I know now. Back then I ended the webinar, and restarted it. I was the only one connected, so not a real problem.

AshC
Retired GoTo Contributor

@CSchifano   Do you know if this was a Macintosh computer running one of the newer OS?  In some cases the security permissions for local microphone access may need to be expressly given. 

Ash is a member of the LastPass Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
CSchifano
Active Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply, Chris. That is very helpful and I will share that with the panelist for the next time.

Would this also impact what and organizer would see? As an organizer I could not see his microphone icon at all - it wasn't red or green. it just wasn't there.

Thanks!

Cindy

CSchifano
Active Contributor

Hi Ash,

Thanks for you response. It was a Windows laptop, but I will also keep this in mind for future events!

Best,

Cindy

Chris Droessler
Respected Contributor

I have that happen occasionally, an attendee, panelist, or organizer does not have a audio icon next to their name.

One reason could be that as this person was launching GoToWebinar, a small window opened on their computer asking them to choose computer audio or phone audio.  It is easy for that window to get lost behind other open windows, and it is not easy to get other people to close their open windows looking for the audio-choice window.

I will also ask these folks to go into the GoToWebinar control panel and select No Audio, then reselect Computer Audio. This seems to work in lots of cases, but only if they can hear me or I can text them another way.

Also, when folks use another virtual meeting program like Skype, Zoom, Teams, etc.,  Sometimes those programs will grab hold of the microphone and not let go.  Even if you quit those programs, sometimes the microphone is still assigned to the other program.  GoTo looks and cannot find a microphone.  Rebooting the computer can solve this.

For all of these reasons, it is BEST to reboot your computer just before using GoToWebinar. I tell my presenters to always reboot their computer before joining the GoToWebinar.  That fixes most audio problems.