cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Active Contributor

Recorded video starts from beginning when user joins in the middle of a broadcast

We are running a live webinar, but playing an uploaded of an old webinar during the broadcast to make it seem "live". When an attendee joins after the video has been started, the video starts from the beginning.

This means some attendees are at minute 4 and others are at minute 15. When the video ends, it stops for ALL attendees regardless of the time they have watched. So for some people, the video abruptly stops in the middle of the broadcast. If I were to reply the video, they would know it's a recording and have to sit through the whole thing again.

Why does the video start from the beginning when someone joins while the video is in progress? This defeats the purpose if the video just stops abruptly for everyone who joined late. 

Tags (2)
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Recorded video starts from beginning when user joins in the middle of a broadcast

@karenlo  Sorry about that. 

There may be a few outlying issues with GoToWebinar videos that are specific to the attendee's environment.  Can you say how the late attendees are joining specifically?  Are they using the Web App, Desktop, or Mobile app, and from what operating systems?

Highlighted
Active Contributor

Re: Recorded video starts from beginning when user joins in the middle of a broadcast

I don't believe it's limited to desktop, mobile or web app. I've seen it on all 3. I don't know what operating systems the attendees were using.

One today joined 13 minutes late, the other 24 minutes. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You are showing a prerecorded video that has been uploaded to your GoToWebinar?  Unfortunately, this is the way that works right now.  This feature is designed to show short videos, not an entire webinar.

When you tell GoTo to play the video, the video is started from GoTo's servers, not your computer, so the timing is different for everyone depending on their Internet connection.

I usually set up a separate computer just to monitor what the attendees sees on the webinar.  Whenever I play a video as part of the webinar, the video on my presenter computer and the attendee computer are never in sync.  Sometimes the attendee computer is ahead of the presenter computer.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

@karenlo See if you can gather some data on the problem attendees.  We are interested in replicating the experience if it is not a Web App attendee (already working on a fix).

@Chris Droessler  We fully expect late attendees to join the video in progress, and we are tracking several different reports from mobile and web users.  As I don't believe there are other Community threads on this specific investigation, I will certainly update you here when more information becomes available.

Highlighted
Active Contributor

How would I retroactively get that data about the attendees?
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

@karenlo How did the Attendees inform you of their view? 

Perhaps email anyone who complained about the video in session?  You would see the Attendee's comments on your Attendee report.

Highlighted
Active Contributor

Hello GoToWebinar,

I wanted to see if there have been any updates on this issue. We have been using prerecorded webinars with a live Q&A afterwards, and have been running into the same issue - if someone joins the session late, the recording will start from the beginning, and then cut off when the video ends for everyone else. We've gotten comments from attendees using the Q&A and survey functions, and have also noticed this issue when viewing the webinar on a separate computer from the one running the session. Is there a way to have everyone view the video at the same point? It doesn't look good for us if someone joins the webinar 30 min late and it sounds like we're just starting the presentation (and then cut off halfway through).

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

@Chris251  I apologize for the behavior there, that is not what we expect the attendee experience to be like.  Could you specify what webinar ID / Key was affected so we can investigate internally?

Please click on my Community name and send a private message in order to confirm any affected Attendee emails during this last broadcast.

Highlighted
Active Contributor

Hi  AshC,

When I tried to send you a direct message, I got an error saying that I have reached my message limit. The most recent webinar ID where this occurred was 201-925-835. One of the attendees (email starts with cgar) joined about 30 min late, and since the recording started from the beginning it cut off halfway through when the session ended. Thanks for your help with this.