Forum Discussion

GlennD
GoTo Manager
12 years ago

Announcing Service Desk Tasks!

I'm pleased to announce that we have introduced a new feature to GoToAssist Service Desk, it is called Tasks.

Now technicians can create “tasks” for any Service Desk record, including incidents, problems, changes, releases and knowledge articles. Creating tasks allows technicians to designate specific action items with individual assignees and due dates. Assigning a task to a user will automatically add the user to the watch list, ensuring that they are kept up to date with any changes made to the record.

The new tasks feature helps teams become more efficient by enabling additional and more detailed workflows. It further enhances communication as teams will be able to determine the exact status of an item (incident/problem/change/release) just by looking at the task list, which prevents lengthy and time consuming reading through of the entire issue discussion. Tasks can also be assigned to other individuals and have due dates. As a result, accountability of these tasks can now be clearly communicated and captured within the tool.

You can read more about Tasks on the GoToAssist blog: http://blog.gotoassist.com/2013/06/25...

As always, full release notes can be found here: http://blog.gotoassist.com/release-no...
  • Has the feature to be able to report on/export data in Tasks been incorprated in GTA? The Tasks is such a useful feature and the reporting is an essential feature for us.
    Luke Grimstrup
    Retired GoTo Contributor
    Time against a Task is an interesting idea but might be a bit too overkill. You could come up with a special notation for logging time against Tasks.

Keep your eyes peeled on future releases, the ability to report on Tasks and the Tasks Dashboard are both items we want to deliver too.
  • Hi Luke -

I love them, at least their potential. I think it's going to fill a huge gap I was seeing in Service desk.

The Task Dashboard and being able to run reports based on tasks would let me manage tasks across the team, different clients, and different projects. It would also let my team members get a quick view of their specific open jobs for the day.

I think the only other major thing that seems to be missing is I'd love to be able to enter time for the task and have it accumulate on the incident or change overall.
    Luke Grimstrup
    Retired GoTo Contributor
    Hi Brian,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, intentionally released Tasks without having some sort of "Tasks Dashboard" as we felt it wasn't really required for Phase One, but since the release we've received several requests for this feature, so I suspect it'll make it's way into a development sprint some time soon.

It's great to see you're really using Tasks too! Aside from the missing Tasks Dashboard how are you finding tasks so far?

Luke
  • I'm not seeing were I can generate reports based off of Tasks. It's a great feature, but I'd like to be able to see a full list of open tasks across my support team.
    Luke Grimstrup
    Retired GoTo Contributor
    You can see at a glance what tasks have been assigned to you from the existing Incident, Problem, Change and Release dashboards.

In the screenshot above, you'll see one of the incidents have 1 task against it, and the orange indicator tells you how many of those tasks are assigned to you.

That said, we do totally acknowledge the fact we need a Tasks dashboard, we very quickly realized this need ourselves after we started using it, and will be implementing something to address this probably some time over the next few development sprints.

Thanks again for the feedback :)
    David Davenport
    Active Contributor
    Hopefully I'm just missing the obvious, but it seems that there isn't a view where technicians can see all of their tasks at once. From what I can tell, the only way to see my tasks is to go to the item under which the tasks exist (such as a Release), and go to the Tasks tab.

Is there a plan to have a global task view, or put the tasks on the main dashboard?

Thanks,

Dave