cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LandonPriority
New Contributor

Chat Box unable to function during a powerpoint

For the last few weeks, our instructors have complained that the chat box is no longer visible while going through a PowerPoint. Many of them have confirmed that it used to work, but no longer does. Another Instructor mentioned that there was once a setting to keep chat windows "Always on top", while there no longer is one. The only way they can see chat when going through the PowerPoint is to exit the PowerPoint screen and go back to the training app.

If this is related to a new update, we'd all like for that setting to be implemented again if possible. 
If there is already a solution to this, I'd like to know it. My current workaround has been to turn the powerpoint into a pdf and share it via course materials. It will pull up on the same screen as the training app and thus can be used along with the chat box.

7 REPLIES 7
KateG
GoTo Moderator

Re: Chat Box unable to function during a powerpoint

Hi @LandonPriority welcome to the GoTo Community. We haven't been able to replicate this experience on our end, it would be great if you share a screenshot or video link so we can get a better idea of what is happening here.  Also are you on the web or app? Are your instructors using a Mac or PC? Are they using multiple screens? Are they sharing just the PP or the entire screen? Thanks. 

Kate is a member of the GoTo Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!

Free new user and admin training
LandonPriority
New Contributor

Our instructors primarily use the app, and a majority of them are on windows. Now, I will say this works with multiple screens, since we can have the powerpoint on one and GoTo on the other, but not every instructor has two screens.

Here is a photo of what is happening. I use the pop-out for GoTo while sharing a Powerpoint. However, in order to actually use the powerpoint, you have to click on it to put it in focus. This, in turn, will make that chat box in the top right disappear. We can't go through the powerpoint and see chat at the same time, it's only one or the other. So if an instructor is going through slides, they won't be able to see if someone types out a question unless they check their chat every minute or so. I've been told by several instructors that it used to function this way.

Adding the powerpoint to course materials and trying to share it that way doesn't work, so we can't have it pull up inside GoTo like the pdfs can

It's more of a nuisance than anything, but I was hoping you had some ideas for it.

Screenshot (10).png

KateG
GoTo Moderator

@LandonPriority thanks for the added context and screenshot, it does help to understand the situation. It does appear the feature is acting as expected. We would recommend using 2 screens if possible when using Powerpoint. If that's not an option you will need to click on the chat icon to keep it on top. I'm passing this experience and feedback on to the team. Thanks for taking the time to share this experience. 

THP
New Contributor

We have the same problem. We always use GoTo Training together with PowerPoint and two monitors. On one monitor is the instructor view, on the other the presentation view. Even with the "new" detach function (I don't know if this is the right translation), the chat always disappears in the background. I have to make the speaker view of PowerPoint smaller in order to place the chat next to it / behind it so that I can see it at all. Yesterday, during the training, even the entire control bar disappeared. I had minimised the bar and then wanted to change the shared application. As a result, the entire GoTo application disappeared. The participants could still hear and see me, but I couldn't operate anything. I had to stop GoTo in the middle of the webinar with the Task Manager to be able to continue at all. At the end of the webinar, I could not click on anything again and had to quit the application again via the Task Manager to be able to finish the recording at all. I wish there was the classic experience again. The new system is slow, unstable and only creates problems. I have not been able to find a single advantage so far, apart from the fact that it looks more modern.

Marydela

I agree, I had a similar situation in session this week. Had to close the whole session and restart not a professional look at all. We are looking at alternative platforms 

THP
New Contributor

We have been working with GoTo since 2015 and there have really never been any problems. This new experience is really very detrimental. We had over 60 participants in the training yesterday and it was now the 5th problem in 14 sessions - it seems very unprofessional, I agree.

Yesterday, after the participants logged out, I started the training several times and the problem that nothing worked after clicking on the control panel did not occur. So it only seems to be a problem when customers are present...

KateG
GoTo Moderator

@THP , @Marydela thanks for visiting the GoTo Community. We are currently aware with the release of flexible layout, when sharing the screen, the need to keep chat pinned on top is currently not available. This has been shared with the team, I don't have an update on the availability but we will let the Community know. There is a feature idea here where customers can comment and kudo the idea, I encourage you to add your voice. Thanks.