cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
To help support our community and customers during the outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19), LogMeIn is providing free Emergency Remote Work Kits for Health Care Providers, Educational Institutions, Municipalities, Non-Profit organizations, and current LogMeIn customers. For more information please visit https://www.gotomeeting.com/work-remote
Highlighted
New Contributor

How do I repair garbled audio in a GTM recording

Hello,

I recorded a training session in Go to Webinar ,converted it to mp4 and wmv - in both conversions the audio is garbled making the recording unusable - is there a way to repair the recording?

Did this on Windows 7

Thank You
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: How do I repair garbled audio in a GTM recording

Hello MaryAnn,
I'm sorry to hear about the conversion problem you're experiencing.  Would you be able to check the original recording to see if they contain a quality root file?  If you're on a PC, the default location of these files is the 'Documents' folder.  If you could change that original file extension to .wmv, it should be playable in many media players.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Ash,

Thanks for the quick reply- are you saying to change the .g2m extension on the original file to .mp4 or .wmv? I made a copy of the original file and changed the extension to .mp4 but the audio did not improve. Any thoughts - Thanks.
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Right, MarryAnn:  Manually change the extension from .g2m to .wmv, then see if that's playable its self.  It's not actually changing the file type -- just how it's interpreted by a player.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Ash,

When I change the extension to .wmv, I get a message that says Windows Media Player cannot play the video because I do not have the proper video codec on my laptop. The converted video does play though but the audio is garbled making it unusable. Anything else I can try?

Thanks.
Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi MaryAnn,
To test the original quality, could you try an alternate player, like VideoLan (VLC)?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello Ash,

I ran the video using the VLC player - it plays the wmv file but the audio is messed up. If I try to pla the g2m file using VLC, I see this error:

Codec not supported:

VLC could not decode the format "G2M5" (No description for this codec)

Thanks for hanging in there with me - let me know if you can think of any way to save this video.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi MaryAnn,
If you change the original file (unconverted) extension from .g2m to .wmv, VLC should be able to play it.

If that fails, I can try to play the original file on my PC to see if the audio is any better.  Here's an upload location:  https://ashcannon.sharefile.com/r-rb124551e32146d4a

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Ash,

I got the same error when I changed the g2m extension on the original file and tried to play it in VLC. 

Codec not supported:

VLC could not decode the format "G2M5" (No description for this codec)

I uploaded the file to the location you provided.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Highlighted
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi MarryAnn,
Unfortunately I heard the same choppy audio from the original raw file.  I'm afraid this file probably wont be recoverable. 

However, I'm concerned with the recording functionality on your system, so would like to confirm that you can record a new session with integrated audio from the same PC.  Please let us know if this problem recurs again.