cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

new gotowebinar not offering .wmv recording option ?! only g2m /slow conversion

For years I've had g2w record in .wmv format, it's essential. Now with the new version, it Only records in proprietary .g2m format, and wants you to manually re-encode to wmv.

For an hourlong video the g2m file is 965Mb and says it'll take 6 hours to convert (!).

Why was the critical .wmv record function disabled?   Any other ideas on how to get g2w to restore "record to wmv" function? (and/or, faster g2m converter utility)?
47 REPLIES 47
LogMeIn Manager

Re: new gotowebinar not offering .wmv recording option ?! only g2m /slow conversion

Hi Ken, we haven't actually changed the way we record, we have just added the ability to decide when you convert the recording. We have always recorded on PCs using the GoToMeeting codec, then if you wanted a WMV file without the codec you had to automatically convert the file at the end of your meeting/webinar or training, it was a setting in the Preferences. The problem with this was that converting the file could take a lot of resources and tie up the computer until it was completed. Also if you did not choose to convert the file automatically, you had to download a tool to do it later.

With the addition of our new Recording Manager, PC users can now choose when to convert the file to a regular WMV without our codec whenever they want. You can read more about it here: http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/GoToMeeting/knowledge_articles/000207985?title=NEW%21+PC+Recor...
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

Re: new gotowebinar not offering .wmv recording option ?! only g2m /slow conversion

hi Glen, thanks, but on behalf of most of us (I've just skyped w/colleagues this am, we all need wmvs)... I need .wmv (with codec) functionality restored.   I don't need wmv w/o codec, wmv w/codec as we've always had is what we need.

what mine has always done is stream the .wmv (w/codec to watch) to my hard drive as I run the webinar, so at the end of the webinar I have a complete .wmv file on my c: drive.  I've done hundreds of webinars like that.   Now what it's requiring is a manual "convert g2m to wmv" format which says it'll take 6 hours.  Here's a screencap midway through. ugh.

For those of us who do 1920x1080 hourlong webinars, a 6-hour slow conversion process isn't useful. I'd need to manually camtasia webinars, which i don't want to have to do since it's another memory issue.

the old method never took up additional time at the end of the webinar to convert, it automatically wrote/saved a .wmv file for me (I've been using g2w for 4+ years)... I could then within a few minutes of completing a webinar, upload the wmv to my member' area on my server, for members to access.   the only requirement is they need the g2w codec installed to view, which wasn't a big deal.

I called in to get my build rolled back to an earlier version to restore this key function.

The prior recording instruction for options:
http://support.citrixonline.com/en_US/GoToWebinar/help_files/GTW070001?Title=Record+a+Webinar

said "Before recording a webinar, an organizer must set recording preferences, including selecting the audio format and recording media format (either GoToMeeting format or Windows Media Player format)." which worked great

Whatever I had chosen, it automatically saved a .wmv (viewable w/codec installed) to my hard drive, streamed/saved. Now that core functionality has been removed; Please bring it back, it's key to my business process.  I can't do 6-hour manual conversions at the end of each webinar; my customers expect archives (in my member areas) much faster than that.  Installing the codec is a nonissue, I'm sure virtually all g2m attendees have done so over the years, it's always worked just fine, please restore this key .wmv record function.
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Ken, 

Sorry for the confusion, both previous options resulted in a .WMV file, the first just used our codec. 

Since you want the recordings with the codec intact, you can change the Recording Preferences in the new version so that it does not ask you to convert the file anymore. The recordings are still being made with the codec by default so you will have a file that looks like this: mymeeting.g2m   If you right click the recording file, select Properties and change .g2m to .wmv you will have your regular recording file that you can share as you always have. 

Just so you know, we are planning to stop using our own codec and replace it with one that is not proprietary. This will make it easier for everyone to edit and share recordings and remove the need to convert the recordings at all. This change will not add any additional steps or time to your process.  

New Contributor

hi Glenn, thanks - that's good news.  Also great tip about changing the filename; odd I'd tried that initially after seeing the 950Mb .g2m this morning, in case it's a wrapper, didn't get playback when renaming to .wmv. For now I was changed back to the .1468 build which produces .wmvs.  Good idea re writing to nonprop format in the future.

fwiw the g2mtranscoder.exe works very well, just too slow, 6 hours it took today to convert the 950Mb source g2m to a 234Mb great-looking wmv.   If there was someway to do transcoding/writing to wmv/mp4 etc on the fly, that would be great, so at the end of the webinar I get a file like the transcoded one, but without the 6 hour conversion wait.

Tip: you might want to have your engineers look at letting users select framerate (or decide to test a lower fps like 4-8fps capture), to drop file size significantly; eg my prior process was to ingest the g2w-codec .wmv to Sony Vegas, then re-render to normal wmv at low 4fps framerate. I've been doing that for years, hundreds of webinars.

Probably very few webinars need high 15-30fps recordings, so transcoding speed is faster and filesize smaller, with lower fps settings... just a thought.
New Contributor

Hello Glenn,

I would have to wholeheartedly agree with Ken's posts.  I have just learned the hard way about these changes, and have several webinars needing intensive conversion.  I have tried to convert, and am unable!  This is following each step of the Knowledge Article you posted - with no success.  I have tried this now on multiple machines as well, and the file does not convert.

Who can I send a ~350MB file to at Citrix who can assist into converting this to a widely accessible codec such as the WMV we've had in the past?
New Contributor

thx Shaun...the support rep talked me through how to convert the g2m file, by launching a practice webinar, choosing options/recording and navigating to recorded file, then initiating conversion, which took a painstakingly long 6 hours for the encoder to handle.   I requested to be rolled back to an earlier version of g2w which still has the .wmv record function like I've always had, and it works for new webinars since using earlier build.

g2w please restore wmv (w/codec) write functionality to new build like we've had for years.  i don't know why these big changes were made without first surveying customers; for many of us we have stable processes in our business we depend on to make a living; making unannounced big changes really causes problems for people.
LogMeIn Manager

Hi,

As I explained in my previous reply, if you don't convert the recording, the only thing that has been changed is the file extension. Instead of a .wmv file made with the GoToMeeting codec, you have a .g2m file made with the codec. If you have our codec already installed you can select to play the .g2m file with Windows Media Player and it will playback just like before. But to avoid confusion for others I recommend simply right clicking the file, selecting Properties and changing the .g2m to .wmv

All of your recordings are still being made with our codec by default, so if that was working for you already just select not to be reminded to convert your recordings in the future. 

New Contributor

Glenn,

This is incorrect.  I do have a .g2m file.  It does have your G2M5 codec, so simply changing the file extension to .wmv does not work.  And installing an additional codec is not an option, as the file will be distributed to hundreds+ people who will then be unable to view the file in any widely adopted media player, so in a real world environment this prevents your users from utilizing your service and will instead look to an alternative.

I am trying Ken's suggestion above right now, where the video is visible at a high rate of speed as it 'converts' but I have seen this before, and there is never a .wmv file output, converted successfully or not.

Please let me know who in your organization I can send this file to, who is able to resolve this issue.

Thank you.
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Shaun, I think you have misunderstood what has been discussed here.

- GoToMeeting has always recorded using our codec by default, you had to select in the Preferences to have the file automatically convert to a a vanilla .wmv where the codec was removed.
- This process happened as soon as you ended your meeting/webinar or training and usually meant the computer could not be used until the process was complete.
- If you did not have this option enabled in the Preferences you ended up with a .wmv file made with our codec, and anyone who wanted to view it would have to install the codec on their PC first.

As you point out, this could be a big inconvenience for some people, in Ken's case it isn't and he doesn't want to remove the codec from his recordings. The recent change we made was to add the ability to remove the codec at anytime, using the new Recording Manager. Previously you had to use 3rd party tools to remove the codec if you failed to enable the option in the Preferences.

- Now when you record it still uses the GoToMeeting codec but the file has a new .g2m extension until you convert it via the Recording Manager
- The unconverted recording is still just a .wmv file with our codec and it will play back in Windows Media Player if you have our codec installed. I know this because I have tested it myself and confirmed with others in our Support department.
- The converted file is a .wmv with our codec removed, and can be played back on systems that do not have our codec installed.

This will actually stop being an issue very soon as we are working towards making all recording in MP4 format, as well as introducing improved hosting and sharing options.