cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Re: new gotowebinar not offering .wmv recording option ?! only g2m /slow conversion

No confusion here.  Or with any of the other posters here it seems.  We can open a new support thread if that's how you think you can step away from the issue without actually solving it, however the problem still remains with the initial and supplementary products.

Are you having a difficult time understanding how your solutions are little to no value to the majority of users?
New Contributor

Re: new gotowebinar not offering .wmv recording option ?! only g2m /slow conversion

actually no Glenn, I tried simply changing the .g2m file extension to .wmv and it's unreadable (won't load in media player etc), even on my pc w/codec insalled.  The only solution is to request a rollback to earlier 6.4.3 1468  version that does save in wmv (w/codec enabled) format, which works.  I've used g2w for 6 years, please restore original functionality even if not mac-compatible, for us legacy users. I am doing another manual transcode today w/recording manager and it's taking 6 hours to encode a 45-minute video, which is far too slow.  

Talking w/support again today, I understand the big-picture need to have formats readable by mac users and non-codec-installed pc users lately, which mp4 encoding will solve.

Natively saving to mp4 sounds good, (if it works without multi-hour transcode step); in the meantime the answer is for people to call tech support and request rollback to 6.4.3build1468 which retains the legacy save-to-wmv format.
New Contributor

Ken, when you rolled back to build 1468, were you able to convert the original file that was recorded using build 1831? Or was this a solution for making new recordings only? We're hoping it's the former (don't want to lose the recording we made with 1831), and we have requested a rollback from support today. We will see if they offer it or not.
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Ken, I am sorry and surprised it did not work for you, I did multiple tests before I recommended it.  I just recorded another test meeting on a freshly imaged Windows 7 PC, and after installing the codec I was able to play back the .g2m recording normally with no issues. I then changed the file extension to .wmv and played the recording back a 2nd time successfully, so I am unsure why it did not do this for you when you tried.  

As you mention, our Support can set accounts back to the previous version for now to retain the .wmv file extension.
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

Hi Glenn, thanks for checking, I can send you via private ftp download link the 900Mb g2m file for testing, doesn't work w/g2m renamed wmv. Note I haven't re-installed the g2m codec in a long time, still using original one from a year ago, though I think latest g2w build autoinstalls new codec?

Mohamed you need to launch the g2mtranscoder.exe via gui from within the build that recorded it, eg launch a practice webinar, Preferences/Recording and the new build prompts to convert a recording, navigate to it, select it, and then it'll convert it, slowwly.  Also a 'danger' note: with the new build it deletes your source g2m file once it's transcoded, which I understand so you don't have redundant files, but what if comptuter crashes/reboot during transcoding, not sure what would happen...so I save the g2m file to external drive step #1, then ran the transcoder on the g2m. On the plus size it creates a great wmv, crystal clear transcodes from 900Mb g2m source to final 192Mb perfect wmv, but takes 5-6 hrs.  Record to mp4 would be great.

And right Glenn since it takes 6 hours to convert a file, unacceptably slow, I had support set my account back to 6.4.3 build 1468, which continues to work just fine, this is what I know and love and have done for 6 years and works well:
LogMeIn Manager

Hi Mohamed, I was able to locate you email correspondence with our Support and see that they had you try using Expression Encoder already, that was going to be my next suggestion to you. For you reply to Support I think you may have missed where Expression Encoder saves the newly converted file. It actually creates a folder where it saves the new .wmv file: 

C:\Users\yourUsername\Documents\Expression\Expression Encoder\Output\Recording title

Could you please check for that folder and the converted file on your computer, and see if it plays back correctly now? 
Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

Hi Glenn,
Yes I had initially missed the output folder when I responded to support. Subsequently, I found it. The behavior I observed in it was:
- the video plays at about 10x the speed at which it was recorded
- there was no audio

This is actually better behavior than before transcoding, but it's not quite there. That is, when viewing the original .g2m file (after renaming to .wmv) the video was fast and silent, but it would also disappear after a few seconds in a manner that was similar to the conversion process behavior of Recording Manger.
New Contributor

After reading this thread, I understand what Citrix is attempting to do and it confirmed that our organization will continue to convert files to .wmv format. Our users (especially those on Windows 8/8.1) have a very difficult time getting the codec to install properly. I understand that Citrix is trying to make it easier to tell when a file hasn't been converted and requires the codec, but the workaround of trying to change the file extension from .g2m to .wmv isn't foolproof and doesn't make much sense to me. Still, I appreciate that they're trying to make this more obvious. IMHO it would have been much better to have left the previous settings as they were and add an additional option of .mp4 recording format.

My issue is the recording manager doesn't allow me to find recordings I need to convert unless they are in the My Documents folder. I've changed the directory using the Browse button, but it's still not working. I'm attaching a screenshot which shows my preferences pane, the folder which has g2m files needing to be converted, and the Recording Manager which finds nothing. The previous GTW converter worked perfectly. Help would be greatly appreciated!

New Contributor

I have the same problem. Before, I would NOT convert my recordings to wmv without the codec, I just kept the gotomeeting wmv with codec.  I never had an issue playing these files back.

Now, following your suggestion, I just changed the filename from g2m to wmv, but it will not open in my windows media player like before.

Something has definitely changed with the new version and this is a royal pain
New Contributor

I use Expression Encoder to transcode after the fact. It's easy for me to reduce the resolution there and make a usable WMV which I can edit in Camtasia. This has been my standard process for years, and for hundreds of webinars. Changing the .g2m to .wmv does not work - Expression does not recognize it, and yes, I have the codec installed. There are obviously more things behind the scenes here.