cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheVacationStop
Active Contributor

test webinar works, cannot connect to real webinar

Are there different protocols used for the test vs. real webinars? I can connect to test webinar, but not to a real one. Is there something different that a firewall might be blocking?

19 REPLIES 19
AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: test webinar works, cannot connect to real webinar

@TheVacationStop  Each broadcast can potentially come from a different IP address, representing one of many LMI servers used for our customers.

Have you already checked out some firewall documentation?  https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/help/how-do-i-configure-gotomeeting-to-work-with-firewall...

TheVacationStop
Active Contributor

Yes, I have. That documentation applies to personal firewalls that I could change vs. corporate firewalls that I cannot. Doesn't help me.

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

There's also the firewall fact sheet, if that helps you further understand the requirements for GoToMeeting to connect.  Otherwise, you may want to reach out to your firewall provider for details on how to manage the settings there.

TheVacationStop
Active Contributor

1) I cannot change the corporate firewall.
2) You have not answered the question I asked. What ports and protocols are different from real webinars using gotowebinar from the test webinar? Obviously something is different, since the test webinar works, but no real webinar does. If I knew what was different, I could request the needed changes. Whether they would be made or not remains to be seen, but at least I would have a direction to investigate.

AshC
LogMeIn Contributor

The ports used for all GoTo broadcasts are 443, 80, and 8200.  Port 1853 is used strictly for webcam streaming.  There is no difference between the test webinar and live webinars in this regard.

The main difference between the standard test and live broadcasts are the IP address' that change specifically.  I do not know off hand what IP the test webinar connects to, as this is subject to change on demand.

TheVacationStop
Active Contributor

I know that 443 and 80 are open, so I'm guessing that 8200 is the issue. I'll bet you can get the test to work without that since it is nothing more than a static image, but not the real ones, which are not. That at least gives me something to work with.

GlennD
LogMeIn Manager

Hi @TheVacationStop

While your company firewall may be preventing the GoToWebinar software from connecting, you may be able to join though your web browser.  Our Instant Join feature is mainly used by attendees who are unable to run our desktop software but, it can also be forced by doing the following:

1. Copy your unique attendee join link and paste it into your browsers address bar
  2. Copy  ?clientType=html5 and paste it onto the end of the join link and press Enter

Instant Join works best in Google Chrome but can also be used in Firefox.

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
TheVacationStop
Active Contributor

Thanks, I will try that next time. I found that option just as the webinar I was trying to attend came to end. The page I found was the generic one for gotomeeting, and you had to put in an ID. The ones I had for the webinar didn't seem to work, though I don't know if getting rid of the dashes would have helped, as the webinar ended before I could try that. I then found a similar link for gotowebinar, but it gave a 403 error. When I removed the filename from the end of the URL, I just got a screen with a background.

Next webinar, I'll try the method you cited in your post above.

TheVacationStop
Active Contributor

Test Seesion works, all real Webinars fail

I can connect to the test session just fine. However, when I try to connect a real webinar, I generally get the splash screen for that webinar, and then the session fails. Error messages indicate that far end terminated session, or that internet connection dropped.

I personally think this is an issue with the corporate firewall. What exactly are the differences in ports and protocols between the test webinar and real ones? Obviously something is different, or both would work or both would fail.

I've tried the installer, and I've tried the browser only interface, and I have the same results either way.