Allow ability to overwrite an existing Sound Clip in the Audio Library with a new uploaded file

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Make sure you Kudo Ideas you would like to see implemented

Allow ability to overwrite an existing Sound Clip in the Audio Library with a new uploaded file

There are many cases where a sound clip is loaded in several dial plans and other areas of the PBX and I would like to mass update this sound clip with a new version without having to upload a new file and then go to all the dial plans and link them to the new audio file.  I have cases where I may need to update the same sound clip across 20 dial plans or more, and it's extremely time consuming.

My main example is a special holiday message every time we are closed for a long weekend.  It's not always consistent that we can leave a generic message, and sometimes its the holiday Monday or holiday Friday.  If I could simply upload a new audio file into the existing sound clip and it stays linked across all existing dial plans and wherever it is used, this saves countless hours of manually updating all the places this sound clip may exist several times a year.

This seems like it should be a simple request to be able to go into the Audio Library/Sound Clips section, select an existing sound clip, and then allow an option to "upload a new sound clip and overwrite the existing".  This way no relinking is needed in the PBX, and it allows mass updating really quickly of a sound file across an entire PBX where it may be used many many times.

Hopefully this is something easy to implement in an upcoming release.  Been hoping for this feature for a long time now... but finally came across this idea suggestion spot to get it on the radar.  Thanks!

3 Comments
M_Adams
Contributor

This would be very helpful! I even suggested a long time ago to have customized sound clips with a star code or what could be called voice prompt recordings that are assigned an extension number.  Then the message could be updated anywhere it is programmed in the dial plans.

I always thought it would be helpful for there to a node option in the dial plan that points to the holiday schedule and inside this holiday schedule you can assign the sound clip for the time frame you want. This would also save time as you wouldn't have to log in every time for each holiday to make the change and you don't have to worry about the thanksgiving message playing during Christmas time because you didn't manually change the greeting. It would just happen automatically.

Anyway, great suggestion and I hope this is something they can implement in the future.

M_Adams
Contributor

Another point ill make from a previous post I did was it would also be helpful to be able to have customizable star codes. Then we could assign sound clip recordings to to a node in the dial plan so when they want to update a greeting all that has to happen is dial the star code assigned to that node, enter a password, and then you can rerecord over/replace whatever greeting is currently there. This would be helpful for the same sound clip found on multiple dial plans or even for holidays messages. 

KateG
GoTo Moderator
Status changed to: Reviewed by moderator