cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Contributor

Strange Characters in GoToMeeting Invitations

Some members of my team have encountered this issue before when sending a GoToMeeting invitation via email (I believe using the Outlook Plugin). It appears that certain characters, like apostrophes, are replaced by a series of strange characters. It makes the message look very odd and unprofessional.  I'm guessing it's something to do with special characters (like "smart quotes") being unrecognized between text formats. Is anyone else encountering this? Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening or how to prevent it?

Thank you for your help. 

GoToMeeting-Error-Screenshot_Redacted.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
LogMeIn Contributor

Re: Strange Characters in GoToMeeting Invitations

I haven't seen that exact issue myself, but I would be curious to see what mail application is handling the original invite, and also if everyone receives the same jumbled text...

New Contributor

My company uses Outlook 2016 and most of us use the GoToMeeting for Outlook plugin. It doesn't seem to happen often or consistently, so it's somewhat hard for us to get a firm grasp about what the issue is. Those that have had the issue appear too busy to do any tests for me and simply gave me the task of finding a solution to it. My own system appears to work fine. 

LogMeIn Contributor

If you can find some more details about the affected environment, or the exact steps (video?) of their process, then perhaps we can figure out why this continues sporadically.

New Contributor

Hello,

I am sorry to jump in on this thread, but we are also experiencing this same "strange character" phenomenon and we have discovered it only appears to be changed for anyone recieving the invite.  The sender's invite still looks fine.  We are using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016, (so Outlook 2016) across the board.  Would anyone be able to help us understand what is happening here?   

LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @bchase ,

Could you say if this is affecting all GoToMeeting Organizers on your company network, or only some Outlook versions?

Have you attempted to send the invite to other email applications such as GCal?

New Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I would say it is affecting all GoToMeeting Organizers on our network, and due to security policy we don't have the ability to use anything but Outlook.  I know we have several "hops" for external email, but internal emails don't ever leave our Exchange environment and it is definitely happening with "internal only" meeting invites as well.

LogMeIn Contributor

@bchase Typically this is due to the email/calendar application misunderstanding some of the formatted text. 

One test might be to copy the invitation template into NotePad, and then paste that version into your email/calendar invite, and see how it is received on the other end.

New Contributor

Okay, I created an appointment and copied all the text out and pasted into notepad.  Then I opened a standard email message and pasted the information into *both* the regular email message I just created as well as the original invite.  The results are the following:

My views on both emails and in the calendar are showing as expected.  The recipient was able to view *both* emails as expected, but when the appointment was accepted and put into the calendar, when viewing the calendar, the formatting was displaying the strange characters.  So, it seems the process of adding it to the calendar is what is "corrupting" the message some how.  Any ideas on what might be causing this?

LogMeIn Contributor

It must be a setting in your Outlook calendar that is misreading the invite text somehow.  I'll ask around to see if we have any other examples of this historically, and it may be worth while taking a look at your Outlook settings in the meantime.