cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Active Contributor

Rebooted in Safe Mode remotely, now the system will not boot up normally! Please Help!

I use Rescue to remote into my clients systems.  I recently choose to reboot the clients system into Safe Mode thinking that it would continue connectivity after rebooting, but it did not.  We lost or connection and I had to terminate.  Now the client’s computer automatically goes into Safe Mode even though we are not connected.  They are unable to just start their system up in “Normal Mode”.  Anyone know how I could fix this, whether it be remotely or in person?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated, not to mention you would save my hide.

Thanks,

David

7 REPLIES 7
Active Contributor

Re: Rebooted in Safe Mode remotely, now the system will not boot up normally! Please Help!

I would get them to remote back into there system, as they are probly starting in safe mode with networking. Then you will msot likely have to finish what you are doing so that it is removed. If you neeed to remove the information manually for startup then you can remove the logmein rescue applet manually.
Matt Davis
CEO
Nerds On The Net
1-877-627-1073
www.nerdsonthenet.com
New Contributor

Re: Rebooted in Safe Mode remotely, now the system will not boot up normally! Please Help!

I have a client who has this problem.  To be clear..

• The computer is rebooted into safe mode from the LogMeIn preferences.
  • the /SAFE command line option is added in the boot.ini (Windows XP SP4)
  • The computer boots into safe mode.
  • The LogMeIn service does NOT start.

Here is the kicker, because LogMeIn does not start it does not remove the /SAFE mode option off the boot loader and as a result the computer refuses to boot into normal mode.   I have to have the client edit the boot.ini file and manually remove it.

I have totally uninstalled LogMeIn and deleted the settings and then installed it again.  This did not solve the problem.

~ Merlin

New Contributor

BUMP!!!

New Contributor

Happens to us too, I would have the client shut off the computer for 5 minutes and boot up again in safe mode with networking, then have the cient restart it normally.

Should work, works for us. Not sure why you need to uninstall LMIR, doesn't install.

New Contributor

I had a similar problem using LogMeIn on a Windows 7 machine. Even drove to the remote office and tried "forcing" a normal boot using the F8 boot menu. nothing worked. The system simply would not boot into anything other than safe mode.

Here's what I did and it WORKED!!

It seems that logmein edits the \boot\bcd file on the "system reserved" partition. (This is a 100mb partition, usually hidden, use Disk Management, you'll see it. This file apparently was corrupted and I wasn't able to edit it with "bcdedit.exe"<see microsoft KB about this utility) I copied one of these files over from a similar computer running win7 and it now boots normallly.

More Details (how I resolved it):

Download and burn a Linux GParted CD (google UBCD 5.0.3, it's free.)

Boot into GParted.

Go to "My Documents" once the desktop loads (this opens the gParted file manager software)

Navigate to media\sda1 (This is the "hidden" partition of windows)

Find the \boot\ folder and rename the existing "BCD" file to "BCD.BAK"

Using the GParted CD, boot your "healthy" machine and copy the \boot\bcd file onto a flash drive.

Go back to the non-booting machine, insert the flash drive and boot GParted again.

Copy the "healthy" BCD file into the media\sda1\boot folder. (You should NOT be overwriting anything, because the "bad" BCD file was renamed to BCD.BAK

That's it. hope this helps.

New Contributor

I came across this while training a class of mine today. I started Windows Normally From Bios, No Go

Ran a Reg Scan No Go, Rebooted plenty of times.

Happened After a classmate ran a Safe Reboot and Reconnect from Logmein Rescue

The Fix! It was quite simple and after 30 minutes got the idea to maybe initiate another connection with a console and just do a normal reboot and reconnect. After 30 minutes of tinkering around the simplest solution worked. Just do a normal Reboot from the Rescue Console!!

Active Contributor

Was this ever resolved?  Editing the boot.ini files should solve the problem.