cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roberte1342
New Contributor

Re: Help preventing automatic logoff in unattended mode

Welp, half way through 2019. Preparing a 1TB migration for overnight transfer and cannot keep the server logged in. All processes forcefully termintated. I actually have to use TeamViewer for this one.

abaum
New Contributor

I have to run a 3 hour long test.  Going to try with auto mouse mover.  Wish me luck.

spideyrules
New Contributor

If you're transferring 200GB over LMI, the service isn't your problem...

roberte1342
New Contributor

>If you're transferring 200GB over LMI, the service isn't your problem...

Heavens no! Don't give the developers any more ideas! They are sadistic. The fact that this "feature" still exists after a decade should be proof enough!

Rant time...

These transfers were local exports to a NAS on the local LAN.  Nobody want's to babysit a long process, but apparently the developers of this software seem to have psychic powers or psychotic motives, maybe both. The slightest network instability can close your session and log off the host forcefully terminating all important running processes. You'd think that a PowerShell window running a long process would be important enough to prevent LMI from crapping on your evening.  Nope. LMI happily does a forceful termination of all running processes and logs off your session immediately.  Most notably when  using the technician console while connected to a mobile hostspot or public WiFi.  Don't do this. Really don't. 

On a side note...

Anyone else looking for an alternate product not yet gobbled up by LMI Inc, check out ConnectWise Control aka ScreenConnect.  The latest version is competitively priced and doesn't need an ongoing subscription if you setup your own server, very easy to do btw.  Licensing is a little different than LMI, you can have unlimited unattended computers, but need an additional license for any simultaneous controlled connections,, LMI lets each technician run 10 simultaneous sessions, Control can only do one session per license. I still use LMI for some userland stuff now and then and keep it as part of my kit, but don't rely on it for anything critical. Sad really.  All it needs is a simple check box in the configuration that says ( [x] Keep remote sessions active when disconnected from technician.) then actually obey this option. It can't be that hard. If the developer really has psychic powers and knows that it is the user's desire that he wants sessions forcefully logged off, then provide some more granularity with these options such as,:( [x] Do not logout session while tasks are actively running in the foreground. ) { [X] Force log off if remote session disconnected for longer than nnn minutes. ) , I think this would satisfy the psychic developer and the user that had his mind read without permission.