cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor

Audio and Video Out of Sync

Hi,

Audio and Video are out of sync on our webinars. Multiple times. Recorded  on different systems (one is a MacBook Pro, the other a Windows 10 system).

Has anybody had this problem? It's pretty unacceptable, we are looking at alternative platforms at this point. Tech support has not responded. Trying here in case anybody has heard of this problem and knows of a solution for it.

-ty

22 REPLIES 22
Respected Contributor

Re: Audio and Video Out of Sync

Are you recording directly to the GoTo webserver (new way to record) or are you recording dierctly to your hard drive, then manuallly uploading the video to the web server?

New Contributor

Thanks for the response.

We need a highest-possible-res video file on a local system. There is no uploading to a web or otehr server involved in the failure in our current process:

1. Reord webinar -- it goes the local HD
2. Convert recording -- it makes an MP4 from audio/video temp raw files when I end webinar
3. Watch this video -- play from the local hard disk and audio and video are out of sync

Is the issue above a known problem?

I was not aware of this "record to server" option. How long as it been around? How does one use it?

-ty

Retired LogMeIn Contributor

Hello,

A couple of questions about this along with more information.  I would first want to know if the recordings are out of sync when being played locally after conversion, or are they being uploaded somewhere else (such as YouTube) and they become out of sync there, but the local copy is fine.  Second, are the recordings being edited in any fashion after the session?

As far as the recording online option, this can be switched within your account recording settings.  More information on the entire process can be found on this support page: Record a Session

New Contributor

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for jumping in here. We do not upload. We record local, convert local, play local.

Our process is:

1. Reord webinar -- it goes the local HD
2. Convert recording -- it makes an MP4 from audio/video temp raw files when I end webinar
3. No editing

4. No uploading (i.e., to youtube)

5. The source MP4 (post conversion) video itself is messed up -- video and audio out of sync 

Thanks!
-ty

Respected Contributor

Warning:  This answer includes a lesson on Physics.  (;-)

GoTo records with a variable frame rate.  Normal frame rate (number of separate images per second) for television video in the USA is a constant 29.97 frames per second.  If there was constant motion, like on TV, then you need to capture a new frame 29.97 times per second to create smooth movement, but in GoToWebinar, typically the same image/slide stays on the screen for many minutes, so capturing the image once every second would suffice and would result in a much smaller file size.

Instead of having the video and audio tracks the same length, in variable frame rate both are now synced to a time code track.  Thus the computer knows to insert frame/image 2 at a certain time in the recording and hold that frame/image until the time code comes for frame/image 3.

Your Possible Solution:   When you take the raw audio and video files and convert them to a single MP4 file, the program you are using may not be handling the variable frame rate properly.  Check to see if there is an option to allow variable frame rates.  Or you might need to look for a different program to convert.

New Contributor

Thanks Chris,

I'm pretty familiar with encoding so this makes a lot of sense to me, and could explain exactly what's happening. But I'm not so smart on the subject that I've just run out and solved itSmiley Happy

No worries if you don't have this info, but if you do it would be very helpful if you could tell me what the format of the source files are. Here I'm talking about the files that end with .temp_audio and .temp_video. I'm wondering if I can convert them using Adobe tools, or if I need to work with a special converted from Logmein.

Thanks,

-billb

-ty

LogMeIn Manager

Hi @AvisAdaptiva,

Raw GoToWebinar recordings can only be converted by the GoToWebinar software itself. 

Glenn is a member of the LogMeIn Community Care Team.

Was your question answered? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Was a post helpful or informative? Give it a Kudo!
New Contributor

I have the exact same problem. I simply follow the prompts from GTM to convert
the recording to MP4 and save locally. No other software or platforms onvolved. When the file is subsequently played the video is about 10 secs behind the audio. It's completely unacceptable and unprofessional. Did you find a solution, or like me are you looking for an alternative to gtm?
LogMeIn Contributor

Hi @Paulhesp ,

Sorry for the recording troubles there. 

Was this only affecting your GoToMeeting recordings, or are you also hosting Webinars as well?